What a gas!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntX

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Put simply, I'm new to propane (although I know how to use a BBQ).

I just bought a 66K BTU burner from HomeHardware.

Any advice from fellow homebrewers? Should I be getting a fire extinguisher just in case?

Also, "be cooking on gas"* stories much welcome! :fro:

*(see the pun here? har har)*

You should always have a fire extinguisher in your brewing area.
Make sure your connections are tight and never leave it unattended. I don't
have any stories but I think you'll get a few here.

Thanks for the tip!

Also, I should probably add that I'll be using the BiaB method... I suppose I should also be using some kind of basket or false bottom, in order not to burn/melt my bag.

Oh! And I'll be brewing outdoors (obv.), but it gets quite chilly here (Minus 20F is not unusual in the winter). How should I isolate the boiler?

Peace!

I use a heat shield on my boiler made from sheet metal
I use steel wire with stainless nuts attatched around the boiler to let the heat flow and the metal sheet outside to keep the heat in

I guess you can use high temp insulation on the outside if your cooking in the winter storms(havnt tryed it below -20C)

I use a heat shield on my boiler made from sheet metal
I use steel wire with stainless nuts attatched around the boiler to let the heat flow and the metal sheet outside to keep the heat in

I guess you can use high temp insulation on the outside if your cooking in the winter storms(havnt tryed it below -20C)

That's some very good advice, thank you so much.

I'll try to find insulated sheets of metal.

I think you will have a hard time finding a insulated sheet
Maybe a friendly plummer will let you scavenge the capsuling from an old water heater

Shield goes a little below my burner, ideally it should only be enough opening to get enough air...
The heat shield gets way hotter then the kettle sinse its only air cooled so remember that when searching insulation

And something like this in the bottom of the kettle to protect the nylon bag
http://www.amazon.com/Amco-Collapsible-Steamer-Stainless-Steel/dp/B000Q4N2LO/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1318550715&sr=1-4

Last edited by a moderator:
Back