Weyermann Munich I versus CaraMunich I?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay-Brew

Reaction score
I am going to try the Fresh Squeezed IPA from the recipes forum. It calls for half a pound of Munich. I ended up getting Weyermann Munich I, which I am thinking was the wrong one and should have got CaraMunich I.

Should I try and get the CaraMunich (would have to order it), assuming that is what I should have got in the first place?

Admittedly, I was confused about "Munich" when there are so many different ones. Thinking about it now the CaraMunich probably makes more sense.

For an IPA, it's likely the Munich I base malt and not one of the Caramunich malts, especially since it's half a pound.

nah... You're good. Munich is a base grain. CaraMunich is a crystal/caramel. They bring different things to the party. Munich I is probably Weyermann's version light Munich (maybe 10L) as opposed to Dark Munich (~20L).

If your recipe called for Munich, you don't want CaraMunich.

Thanks! It also has 1.3 pounds of Crystal 40. Trying to figure out the various grains, so thanks again. The Munich I is 7.1 SRM according to BeerSmith.

It has 1.3 pounds of carapils too I believe. Does this help with the head retention and the Munich with the body?

It has 1.3 pounds of carapils too I believe. Does this help with the head retention and the Munich with the body?

Munich malt is a base malt, and it's a "maltier" tasting malt if that makes sense, compared to US two-row base malt.

Carapils (and other cara-/caramel malts) helps with body and head retention.

There aren't that many Munich malts- I think generic "munich malt" (briess) and then Munich I (light) and II (dark).

Remember any thing at all with the words "cara" in it, like CaraVienne, CaraMunich, caramel, etc, is a caramel/crystal type malt.

Munich malt is a base malt, and it's a "maltier" tasting malt if that makes sense, compared to US two-row base malt.

Carapils (and other cara-/caramel malts) helps with body and head retention.

There aren't that many Munich malts- I think generic "munich malt" (briess) and then Munich I (light) and II (dark).

Remember any thing at all with the words "cara" in it, like CaraVienne, CaraMunich, caramel, etc, is a caramel/crystal type malt.

Thanks. I need malts for dummies maybe, but slowly getting a sense....

Back