Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the order of how my feelings went when I made the jump to straight razors:

- nervous, this thing is gonna slice my face off.
- hey, this isn't too bad, I think I'm getting the hang of it!
- I'm comfortable, I got this, these things are easy
- I'm too comfortable, this thing is effing up my face... Maybe I should show it a little more respect
- nice and slow, take my time and I'll get some good results.

It definitely takes a balance of having a little fear of what it can do, but also being confident in your abilities. I'll never go back from straights though.

This is the order of how my feelings went when I made the jump to straight razors:

- nervous, this thing is gonna slice my face off.
- hey, this isn't too bad, I think I'm getting the hang of it!
- I'm comfortable, I got this, these things are easy
- I'm too comfortable, this thing is effing up my face... Maybe I should show it a little more respect
- nice and slow, take my time and I'll get some good results.

It definitely takes a balance of having a little fear of what it can do, but also being confident in your abilities. I'll never go back from straights though.

I'm sure I'm going to have to invest in some good post-shave moisturizers/lotions since I'll probably do more harm than good at first. Healthy fear is good!

I feel like if I were to start using a straight my DE's would get neglected. That just wouldn't do for my fifty year old Fatboy! :D

Jeepers, 50 year old razors, 70 year old pens, Scotches older than me...

Ok, back to shaving!

CHefJohnboyardee said:
I feel like if I were to start using a straight my DE's would get neglected. That just wouldn't do for my fifty year old Fatboy! :D

Jeepers, 50 year old razors, 70 year old pens, Scotches older than me...

Ok, back to shaving!

Oh, your razor is ONLY 50 years old? That's just a baby.

I recently restored my great-great grandfathers straight razor. It is somewhere around 100 years old.

I got rid of the 1912, just wasn't my cup of tea. :)

Some of the techs I gave out as Christmas gifts were of an unknown age but getting old...

Just kind of puts some perspective on time and what not.

So, I just spent a few quid on a proper setup, the Feathers just didn't feel right in a crappy razor, so I went and ordered a Merkur Progress, actually it's a luxury starter kit which contains the following.

Merkur Progress Adjustable Safety Razor
Choice of Taylor Creams - I ordered Avocado
Two of a kind sampler of 18 double edge razor blades
Semogue or Omega Pure Badger Brush
Styptic pencil
Alum Block

My old brush is a bit crappy and the soap is not bad, but I'll relegate the old razor to being a travel razor now with accompanying soap and crappy brush.

EoinMag said:
So, I just spent a few quid on a proper setup, the Feathers just didn't feel right in a crappy razor, so I went and ordered a Merkur Progress, actually it's a luxury starter kit which contains the following.

Merkur Progress Adjustable Safety Razor
Choice of Taylor Creams - I ordered Avocado
Two of a kind sampler of 18 double edge razor blades
Semogue or Omega Pure Badger Brush
Styptic pencil
Alum Block

My old brush is a bit crappy and the soap is not bad, but I'll relegate the old razor to being a travel razor now with accompanying soap and crappy brush.

Where did you order that from?

I gotta say, I thought the difference in blades you guys were discussing was total BS when I read it. I mean these things are paper thin things that all look the same.

But, I can see a clear difference now.
I continue to enjoy the Astra blades.

I don't see shaving as a huge hassle but I will admit I am just too damn lazy to do it all the time. Because of this I met my now girlfriend who just so happens to love beards. She got me a beard trimmer for my birthday the first year we were together and I have never needed to shave since.

I gotta say, I thought the difference in blades you guys were discussing was total BS when I read it. I mean these things are paper thin things that all look the same.

But, I can see a clear difference now.
I continue to enjoy the Astra blades.
Look for pictures of the blades under a microscope. It's crazy the difference between brands and types.

I just got my new kit today, had to go pick it up from the depot.

The Progress has some weight to it compared to my wilkinson sword, can't wait for the first test drive.

Just saw this very interesting How Its Made episode on the making of DE razor blades.
Anyone ever used Croma blades?

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that episode a while ago, it was very interesting all the steps involved in making a blade. if I recall there was a series of them that day on edges, kitchen knives, saw blades, etc.

Just saw this very interesting How Its Made episode on the making of DE razor blades.
Anyone ever used Croma blades?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9PnTPIKd3g

that is a cool video. as for the cromas, i don't think they get stellar reviews, but blades are so subjective, it's hard to say. i'm sure with the right technique, they would probably offer an acceptable shave.

I use a safety razor, brush, and bowl soap technique. Still struggling getting my chin shaved well but getting there. Anyone have any experience with the preshave oils? Make the task go any better?

I apologize if this has been covered I didn't read the last 93 pages. ;)

I'm still a noob and been struggling too, but what has seemed to work much better for me is to start with the razor at a very steep angle (the shaft of the razor closer to perpendicular with my skin) with the smooth head gliding and I slowly decrease the angle until the blade starts contacting my flesh using short strokes. I think initially I was using too shallow of an angle with the blade scraping along and nicking and pulling.

It takes some time but once you can stop thinking about getting a BBS shave the faster you will get to a BBS shave... Seriously, go for medicority, its still better than a Mach3. Don't believe me? Go back to the Mach 3 or whatever for a day and you'll come crying back for the DE!

No one knows your face better than you. Trying to get too close can just plain hurt. Some people will just en up having rough spots no matter how they shave (rough to you is still smooth to a lot of people- don't believe me? use your mach 3 again ;) )

Just ordered edwin jagger de87 looking forward to using safety razor again. Learned to shave with Gillette speed razor then had to move to injector when dad broke his then on to the double blade that that was mailed out in metal tube. I have used many different electric and cartridge style since, currently using fusion and just want a better shave.

I use a safety razor, brush, and bowl soap technique. Still struggling getting my chin shaved well but getting there. Anyone have any experience with the preshave oils? Make the task go any better?

I apologize if this has been covered I didn't read the last 93 pages. ;)

I havent used any fancy pre-shave oils, but I do use extra virgin olive oil as a pre-shave oil when I use my straight. when using my DEs I add in 4-6 drops of EVOO when building my lather, Gila suggested it and I have been happy with the results I have gotten! A nice creamy lather and a smoothe shave.

Before buying an expensive pre-shave try raiding your pantry first!

I got some AOS preshave oil as a bday gift. The clove oil smell reminds me of anything but shaving. It does make a sticky lather and the pesky neck hairs around my adams apple aren't as pesky. I need to try the olive oil but I get results with just TOBS creams.

Also just traded a bunch of Astra SPs for a bunch of different blades. Happy day! :D

I used to love Astra SP hence me getting a bunch of them. Guess my mind changed or I had a bunch of bad blades in a row. Who knows.

I got this huge sampler pack and it's almost getting to be a chore to go through all the blades. I think part of it is I've never seen most of them discussed, so there's no "excitement" to give them a try, especially since I've found a few that are working for me.

Feathers, Astra SPs, blue 7 O'clock (as long as I don't try for more than 3-4 shaves on a blade), Red Personnas, and some others.

I tried my first Lord blade this morning on 7 in Slim for my first shave since Friday. I'm interested to see how tomorrow goes with it.

I need to order a new puck of soap. I can see through the middle of it. I bought a puck and tube of Proraso just before Labor Day weekend and this will be my first refill. Still have most of the cream. Not bad for a sub-$4 soap puck.

Any recommendations on what to replace it with? I'm not adverse to something with a higher price tag of these are going to last several months.

Badger all the way. There is a huge comfort difference in my opinion, even if its best badger and not silver tip. Boar seems to be rougher and the lather seems to suffer from it. Just my $.02 though. I tried the 7 o clock blue platinums last night and they are my favorite blade so far from my sampler pack, though i still have not tried the Feathers.

FastAndy said:
Badger all the way. There is a huge comfort difference in my opinion, even if its best badger and not silver tip. Boar seems to be rougher and the lather seems to suffer from it. Just my $.02 though. I tried the 7 o clock blue platinums last night and they are my favorite blade so far from my sampler pack, though i still have not tried the Feathers.

I like them as well, just get rough after 3-4 shaves on my beard.

I almost got rid of badger bush because my boar brush was softer and just felt nicer when using it. I kept my badger because it traveled well and it eventually broke in and softened up. It was really scratchy now it is fine and make one heck of a lather. My boar brush does great but the wife took it to shave her legs with. It is a lot bigger of a brush. :)

As to other soaps to try, I really like TOBS Sandalwood Cream. It gets Poo-poo'd by some but everything does really... Proraso is coming out with new scents sometime in the future.

There are so many scents and types of soap to try... I haven't started trying them all because I don't want to spend the money. :) People have a love it or leave it opinion on tallow based soaps. Some people like the hand made stuff like Queen Charlotte or Mama Bear's. The sky is the limit...

Any recommendations on what to replace it with? I'm not adverse to something with a higher price tag of these are going to last several months.

i've heard good things about RazoRock soaps, Mitchell's Wool Fat, Arko Shave Stick, Tabac...

Thanks. I'll just grab something. I've head good things about Geo Trumper as well.

Anyone interested in splitting a bulk buy on any blades? I'm sure someone has a better source, but I found feathers for .375 cents per blade when you buy 200, but that's a ridiculous number of blades. Especially considering I bought 100 Astra SPs for $9.34 yesterday. I'd like to get more feathers, but I didn't want to have $75 in 2-3 years of blades sitting in the cabinet.

Taylors Avacado is really nice, the smell at first was almost gagworthy but after two or three shaves it's really growing on me and I've come to love it.

That's exactly how I want to experience my morning shave routine.

What can I say it's a slow burner....I went from hating it and thinking...wtf did I spend my money on, to actually loving the smell now.

On a side not it's funny that a guy on a shaving thread would be called Kratzer :) scratcher, hehe.

No one wants some feathers?
I'm not a huge fan of Feathers. They are sharp but that is all I say about them.

I also like switching blades each time... I wouldn't have thought I would like doing that but I do! I just traded a lot of five packs out for other five packs.

The Badger and Blade Buy/Sell/Trade can work like lightning. It is scary fast how quickly you will get a reply when you post something that people like.

EoinMag said:
What can I say it's a slow burner....I went from hating it and thinking...wtf did I spend my money on, to actually loving the smell now.

On a side not it's funny that a guy on a shaving thread would be called Kratzer :) scratcher, hehe.

I'm German and I know it...

CHefJohnboyardee said:
I'm not a huge fan of Feathers. They are sharp but that is all I say about them.

I also like switching blades each time... I wouldn't have thought I would like doing that but I do! I just traded a lot of five packs out for other five packs.

The Badger and Blade Buy/Sell/Trade can work like lightning. It is scary fast how quickly you will get a reply when you post something that people like.

I'm not on that forum. I like I mix it up as well, but I think I'd be good with mixing it up with 3-5 blades. Don't need 20 different types like I have now.

I had a hard time with DE shaving the first month or so, but it has really grown on me. I occasionally use my Mach 3 when I'm in a hurry, but I always regret that I didnt have time to wet shave.
I still have much to learn of the technique - reminds me of when I was first learning to shave with a disposable as a teenager.
At this point the part I enjoy is the process. The Mach 3 is a means to an end. Wet shaving is enjoying each part of the process and the relaxation and satisfaction it brings.

Thanks for turning me on to this simple enjoyable hobby guys!

I use my 20 yr old Gillette Sensor and shave blind in the shower with bar soap. Once you get the hang of shaving blind there's no going back. So much faster and with the shower your whiskers are super hydrated and there's no razor burn.

I've heard the shaving in the shower thing but never got it to work well. I would still break out. Methodish shaving works the best so I'll stick to it. (Trying hard to not buy a straight and a strop...)

Back