Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think if you've only ever done cartridge razors then starting with a double edge safety razor would be the best route as far as training you to let the blade do the work. That's how I started.

Check out west coast shaving they have everything that you could ever imagine.

If you do go with the safety razor get a sampler pack of blades. Not all blades are the same and this will allow you to see which ones you like.

Hello all. I've been looking and looking so now I'm here. I've really been wanting to get into straight razor shaving for a while now but can't figure out a good place to start as far as pretty much all of it goes. What would be a good inexpensive( not cheap) set up be? Would I need to buy individual parts or is there a good kit somewhere that I'm not finding? Any and all help would be appreciated thanks.

Look into whippeddog.com and buy the sight unseen straight razor, get the poor mans strop kit and you are mostly there, I think they sell brushes and shave soap too.
the razors are sanitized but not scrubbed to like new condition, the blade is shave ready yet not polished... In short it's an inexpensive way to try out straight razor shaving with a good piece of steel. :rockin:

whippeddog sent me a quality, shave ready antique straight. The poor man's strop also works well. The balsa wood and oxide powder honing kit looks like junk, but it will maintain the blade. Highly recommended.

Anyone use a Merkur 1904? Got one on the way.

And, you can send straights to whippeddog to be sharpened. I haven't yet, but I may. My last honing didn't take too well.

Anyone use a Merkur 1904? Got one on the way.

I dont have the 1904, but I do use a Futur by Merkur. I love it. Merkur makes some fine equipment, after 2 years it looks brand new and ive more than recouped the money in cartridges.

I dont know if the 1904 is the same weight, but I like the heftiness of the futur, as its own weight does all the shaving.

Have fun with it!

Looking for advice on a decent safety razor for a newbie. From what I've read, the Feather blades look awesome.

Will all safety razor blades fit all safety razors?

Yes, at this point all safety razor blades are designed to fit all variants of safety razors.

To answer your question on recommendations for a beginner razor, I started out with a Gillette tech razor. It's very mild and forgiving but after getting the hang of shaving with one I found I was looking for a closer shave so I started picking up more aggressive razors. Looking back on it if I had started with a Gillette NEW or even a first generation Gillette old-style razor I would probably still be happily shaving with one instead of wandering into straight razor territory like I did.

I do love my straights but as I said it was the end result of looking for a closer shave.

Looking for advice on a decent safety razor for a newbie. From what I've read, the Feather blades look awesome.

Ive only used Merkur's safety razors and feather blades. Words of warning about feathers...think a woodworking plane. It will take down everything. Some people find it too sharp.

Also, I think a good brush and soap adds a lot to it. I started with shaving cream, but I moved on to soap. I feel cream clogs the razor too much and forces me to clean it after every stroke.

For soap im using Taylor of Old sandalwood, and I like it. My brush is an art of shaving one, but I wouldnt recommend it as its freakishly overpriced.

I have two safety razors, one was a Gillette that was in my father's belongings and the other was a used Gillette that I bought on ebay for $15. Both work great for me. After testing different blades, I decided that I like Shark best.

Everyone has different preferences, but that's my experience, fwiw.

Shaved with the 1904 today using the Merkur platinum blade it came with. Smooth and easy. This razor has an open comb. That means there is less metal between the razor blade and the user's face. No closed safety bar. No problem. Not even a knick.

The 1904 was recommended on Blade and Badger as either a newbie razor or an advanced razor. The jury was hung. This is my first DE. I went from a five blade goo head to a straight to this. Maybe that's why the transition was so easy. Maybe DE shaving just isn't that hard.

Amazon. $27 shipped. Get you one.

I have a straight edge, but to be honest I dont use it often. I feel it tugs at my hairs more than cut them, and I cant seem to get a close shave with it.Its impossible to take it to my mustache as it will grab hairs and just pull.

Its a dovo, and should be good, so I just assume I dont have the right tecnique, too bad since the thing is sexy looking!

I have a straight edge, but to be honest I dont use it often. I feel it tugs at my hairs more than cut them, and I cant seem to get a close shave with it.Its impossible to take it to my mustache as it will grab hairs and just pull.

Its a dovo, and should be good, so I just assume I dont have the right tecnique, too bad since the thing is sexy looking!

Yeah, those are no good, I will PM you my address so you can send it to me for proper disposal. :D

You went from a five blade to a straight razor to a merkur 1904? Or was that a mis-type?

Yes! My straight razor has five blades! I spin them around like a pinwheel on my face!

Or, yes, I went from a five blade Gillette Fusion goo head, to a 100 year old King Porcupine straight, to a Merkur 1904. I included the bit about beginner razor in my post because that's whut people say. Really, I say get a razor and shave. Pain and blood are great teachers.

And it's not hard to use a DE. They are called safety razors.

:D

Hey wet shavers! This is my first time in this thread, but reading it off and on was what inspired me to get a DE safety razor, boar hair brush and some Taylor of Old Sandalwood shaving cream. My first shave with it was worse than I ever got shaving with my Mach 3 with no shaving cream in the shower, the second (tonight) was actually halfway decent, though it took me quite some time to get it that way. Any tips for a new DE shaver to get what I've heard is supposed to be the best shave of my life? I know a lot of it is just getting my technique down, but there's a few parts of my face that no matter which direction I shave I can't seem to get it smooth.

Hey wet shavers! This is my first time in this thread, but reading it off and on was what inspired me to get a DE safety razor, boar hair brush and some Taylor of Old Sandalwood shaving cream. My first shave with it was worse than I ever got shaving with my Mach 3 with no shaving cream in the shower, the second (tonight) was actually halfway decent, though it took me quite some time to get it that way. Any tips for a new DE shaver to get what I've heard is supposed to be the best shave of my life? I know a lot of it is just getting my technique down, but there's a few parts of my face that no matter which direction I shave I can't seem to get it smooth.

Blade angle to the skin is critical to getting a close shave, letting the weight of the razor do its thing is another, don't push the razor or you will cut yourself most likely.

I recommend shaving after a good hot shower so your whiskers are good and soft.

One other thing, what type of razor do you have? Some are more aggressive than others, and finding the right blade is another thing to consider while pursuing a perfect shave

After using most every disposable and cartridge razor on the market, I switched to a DE Parker 99R and Shark blades. My first results were not stellar either - lot of nicks and not even a close shave. Patience and time it will come.

Use a quality lotion or gel, and apply it just after you get out of the shower. The whiskers should be softer due to the hot water/steam. When I want a super close shave I end up shaving the same areas in multiple directions. First time is with the hair direction, the second pass against it, followed my one final pass again with the hair direction.

Cool water splash after, and from time to time I use PFB Vanish, especially on my neck where I get razor rash sometimes.

I get a better shave and save money on blades now.

Wash face good with hot water.
Lathery soap. Not watery thin. Not sudsy. Not pudding thick or paste dry.
+1 on letting the weight of the razor do the work.
Shave with the grain. If you need smoother, go against or sideways for the second pass.
Short strokes.
+1 on trying a different angle. Maybe a little more forward, more off of the bar, so the blade is closer to your skin.

Shave with the grain. If you need smoother, go against or sideways for the second pass.

This.

These are the biggest mistakes starting out, pushing the blade and doing a ton of tiny passes.

Let the wight of the blade do the work, and I usually stay on one pass as I really dont care that much for closeness, but rather have no irritation.

Blade angle to the skin is critical to getting a close shave, letting the weight of the razor do its thing is another, don't push the razor or you will cut yourself most likely.

I recommend shaving after a good hot shower so your whiskers are good and soft.

One other thing, what type of razor do you have? Some are more aggressive than others, and finding the right blade is another thing to consider while pursuing a perfect shave

After using most every disposable and cartridge razor on the market, I switched to a DE Parker 99R and Shark blades. My first results were not stellar either - lot of nicks and not even a close shave. Patience and time it will come.

Use a quality lotion or gel, and apply it just after you get out of the shower. The whiskers should be softer due to the hot water/steam. When I want a super close shave I end up shaving the same areas in multiple directions. First time is with the hair direction, the second pass against it, followed my one final pass again with the hair direction.

Cool water splash after, and from time to time I use PFB Vanish, especially on my neck where I get razor rash sometimes.

I get a better shave and save money on blades now.

Wash face good with hot water.
Lathery soap. Not watery thin. Not sudsy. Not pudding thick or paste dry.
Short strokes.
+1 on trying a different angle. Maybe a little more forward, more off of the bar, so the blade is closer to your skin.

This.

These are the biggest mistakes starting out, pushing the blade and doing a ton of tiny passes.

Let the wight of the blade do the work, and I usually stay on one pass as I really dont care that much for closeness, but rather have no irritation.

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I will certainly try to incorporate them next time I shave.

Hello all. I've been looking and looking so now I'm here. I've really been wanting to get into straight razor shaving for a while now but can't figure out a good place to start as far as pretty much all of it goes. What would be a good inexpensive( not cheap) set up be? Would I need to buy individual parts or is there a good kit somewhere that I'm not finding? Any and all help would be appreciated thanks.

There is a web sight "whipped dog" that I have heard a lot about. They have a "sight-unseen" straight razor deal that seems like a good jumping off point.

http://www.whippeddog.com/products/view/sight-unseen-razor

The razors are honed and shave ready and they get good reviews on the shaving sites.
I don't know about their soap, but you can get the whole shebang for around $100 and it's quality stuff (pre-owned vintage razors). That's at least half the investment starting with new quality razors and, it's more risky starting with new because you may not like what you get or get something that's not shave ready.

There is a web sight "whipped dog" that I have heard a lot about. They have a "sight-unseen" straight razor deal that seems like a good jumping off point.

http://www.whippeddog.com/products/view/sight-unseen-razor

The razors are honed and shave ready and they get good reviews on the shaving sites.
I don't know about their soap, but you can get the whole shebang for around $100 and it's quality stuff (pre-owned vintage razors). That's at least half the investment starting with new quality razors and, it's more risky starting with new because you may not like what you get or get something that's not shave ready.

Or do what everyone else already said because I'm late to the party again.

If you're not using the blade buffing technique, you're not getting as good a shave as you could...works for straits and DE. Give it a goog.

Sounds like it isn't sharp enough. Just having the Dovo in the vicinity of your beard should just scare the hairs off your face. :rockin:

But seriously, have a good hone put on it. If you don't hone yourself - you can send it in to Lynn Abrams at Straight Razor Designs and specifically request how sharp of a blade you want. He does good work.

Had this problem when I switched to straights and found out through trial and error my lather was too thick. It seems that a straight prefers a considerably thinner lather than my DE prefers. Might be worth a shot just to keep the Dovo from collecting dust

Love the sound of a straight shave. I certainly have many brewing related purchases that are more important but id love to pick up an extra hollow just to hear it "sing"

My King Razor Porcupine, strop, honing board and brush are from Whipped Dog. Highly recommend.

So far, with my Merkur 1904, I've used the Merkur blade it came with and a Shark super stainless. I don't know about more or less aggressive, they were both nice. The Shark was the best thing I've ever shaved my upper lip with.

I don't think the sharks get the credit they deserve. I'd take one over a feather. Yeah I said it. They worked for me, the feather didn't. I still prefer blue 7'oclocks above anything else though.

I also found sharks to be damn fine blades, I was getting a week of daily shaves out of a blade before it started feeling a bit dull, with my stubble being so tough I tend to dull blades fast, I can't get one full shave out of a feather without it feeling so dull its yanking hairs out of my face.

@FastAndy and @azscoob I use Sharks - back when I started, I got pack with five different brands and the Sharks were by far my favorite. I suspect there are a lot of variables that go into making a razor someone's favorite - type and quality of beard, how often you shave, how you shave, the razor you use, etc. For me, I've been using Sharks for three years now and love them. Once a year (about), I order a big 100 lot for something around $15 if I'm remembering right, and I'm good for a year. I'm such a cheapskate, I love being thrifty.

A good strop is key. Hopefully Santa will deliver!

I am hoping for some Limes and Bergamot soap.

Well, I didn't get any Limes and Bergamot soap for Christmas.....so, I bought some for myself. It is one of my favorites now. Maggard makes a quality croap, IMO. Good stuff! Lathers up nice (which may just be because of my water), nice smooth shave, and the scent is amazing. :rockin:

Finally got around to trying the Personna blue's (they came today and I shave at night). It's a top contender for sure. Very pleased

I want to give. Thumbs up to The Art of Shaving. I don't know how big this chain is but they have some great products and I can't recommend their after shave balm enough it's not greasy but soothes and smoothes the skin after the shave without feeling like I used my wife's stuff

I am a cheapskate. Mostly. But my face gets super aggravated after shaving because of my extremely rough, curly facial hair.

In 30 years of shaving and trying almost everything known to man, I discovered this stuff about 6 years ago. It is literally the best after shave on this planet and it's not even an aftershave, it's a lotion. Not cheap, but a little bit goes a long way and one bottle will last me about half a year or so.

Biotherm Homme Aquapower

Biotherm-Basispflege-Aquapower.jpg

I have streamlined my shaves a good bit for daily cleanup, as I shower in the morning I soak the brush and scuttle in the sink full of scalding hot water, I get out of the shower and stopper the scuttle and build my lather, I use a small blop of coconut oil and my Proraso shave cream, I apply some preshave oil and strop the straight. Two passes, one with the grain, one against. Rinse well and apply witch hazel, then a splash of pinaud clubman. Today I started the lather building at 05:46 and was cleaned up and put away by 05:58

Back