Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the consensus here, scuttle or mug? Currently using a small bowl for building lather, but I've been checking out scuttles.

Meh. I used to care about hot water but after a while I went to straight cold water shaves. As long as I get the lather on my face for a few min while I brush the teeth then I am good to go. So no scuttle and plain Jane cold water.

Cheap cappucino mug.

I've tried one, and I don't like the depth of it. It's too deep for my brush and I end up banging my fingers (mind out of the gutter, gila) when I make a lather. This is why I use the shallow bowl, however, I like the idea of a scuttle that would allow for some hot water to keep the lather nice and toasty between passes. They seem reasonably priced at anywhere from $25 to $50.

I've tried one, and I don't like the depth of it. It's too deep for my brush and I end up banging my fingers (mind out of the gutter, gila) when I make a lather. This is why I use the shallow bowl, however, I like the idea of a scuttle that would allow for some hot water to keep the lather nice and toasty between passes. They seem reasonably priced at anywhere from $25 to $50.

I just keep my mug in the sink with hot water. Fill the sink to 3/4 the height of the mug.

I do understand what you are saying but, do not have the problem. i use one of those really large cappucino mugs, not just standard coffee mug. Damned thing is almost a soup mug/bowl.

Used my 1956 Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed this morning with an Astra SP blade. Wow, just wow. I really like this razor. Much gentler on my face than the Gillette Ball End Tech.

Used my 1956 Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed this morning with an Astra SP blade. Wow, just wow. I really like this razor. Much gentler on my face than the Gillette Ball End Tech.

Never discredit any one tool. I know it sounds illogical, but it really does come down to finding the right combo of blade to tool. I won't even begin to try to understand the physics of it but, for example, a Merkur blade in any tool other than my Futur is total crap. But in the Futur it works better than any other blade I've tried.

Crazy.

Never discredit any one tool. I know it sounds illogical, but it really does come down to finding the right combo of blade to tool. I won't even begin to try to understand the physics of it but, for example, a Merkur blade in any tool other than my Futur is total crap. But in the Futur it works better than any other blade I've tried.

Crazy.

Yes, I have noticed that after reading many of these and the B&B posts. I do plan on picking up a blade sampler pack soon, though I'm hoping to win a PIF on B&B to get some more free blades. :D

What's the consensus here, scuttle or mug? Currently using a small bowl for building lather, but I've been checking out scuttles.

I use a large ceramic mug with a handle and an electric warming plate similar to this one:

41llOUEwJTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Pour some water in, start the plate and once you come out of the shower, it's perfect.

blacksquid said:
I use a large ceramic mug with a handle and an electric warming plate similar to this one:

Pour some water in, start the plate and once you come out of the shower, it's perfect.

Not a bad idea.

Picked up three more razors off of eBay. $30 shipped, and one of them is a Fat Boy.

My name is Ace, and I have a problem.

image-272188144.jpg

Right now my holy grail of DE's? The Senator. I love open combs, and having a OC TTO would be... Well I would never purchase another razor unless mine were broken in a freak smelting accident.

41llOUEwJTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I do this as well, I fill my scuttle with hot water and stopper it up, then fill the bowl with hot water and put the brush in.

When I'm done in the shower I have a nice hot scuttle ready to whip up a nice lather in.

Picked up three more razors off of eBay. $30 shipped, and one of them is a Fat Boy.

My name is Ace, and I have a problem.

What's your razor count up to?

I'm holding solid at 12 DE, and 2 straights.

And 4 brushes.

And 7 shave creams and soaps.

2 pre shave oils

2 post shave balms

A shelf of after shaves

A drawer of 300 or so razor blades

Welcome Ace, my name is Scoob, and I also have a problem.

so the double edge safety razors provide a better shave but how much time does it add versus a mach3? I usually shave quickly every other day in the shower, sometimes hungover, often racing to get out to catch the bus on the time

so the double edge safety razors provide a better shave but how much time does it add versus a mach3? I usually shave quickly every other day in the shower, sometimes hungover, often racing to get out to catch the bus on the time

Takes me 7 minutes if I build a lather, make two or three passes, and clean up.

I have also been at this a while, so I have gotten pretty adept at shaving with a DE.

azscoob said:
What's your razor count up to?

I'm holding solid at 12 DE, and 2 straights.

And 4 brushes.

And 7 shave creams and soaps.

2 pre shave oils

2 post shave balms

A shelf of after shaves

A drawer of 300 or so razor blades

Welcome Ace, my name is Scoob, and I also have a problem.

Now it's 5 DEs, and 3 straights.

I have done good with the addiction. Always had three DE's or less. Soap? Cella, MWF, TOBS cream (stuff is awesome BTW) VDH deluxe (has lots of dust on that tub) and palmolive sticks milled into a tub. Not too many blades, I am an aqua velva man, and when I am feeling fishy I go for the Polo #4. However I really really want to see what all the hype is about with Floid. That and alcolado glacial. During the summer feeling like you splashed liquid nitrogen on your face is a great way to start the day.

I haven't experimented with many blades yet. I do have a few creams and soaps, but prefer Proraso. Same goes with the aftershaves, the Proraso balm is my favorite.

I've got 4 DEs that I use, two other Techs that are unused in kits that I have yet to get round to selling
about 5 creams/soaps, not including a bunch of samples
three brands of blades, about 100 in total
6 aftershaves - I only used some balm before this hobby
4 brushes, two good two poor

Not too bad, once I found a Fatboy I stopped trying out other razors although I still look for them at car boot sales

I went into Art of Shaving for my 1st time :confused: $100 is their cheapest stand?

I picked up the Lavender Cream after some fantastic reviews but after 1 shave I still think Proraso is my favorite. :eek:

I went into Art of Shaving for my 1st time :confused: $100 is their cheapest stand?

I picked up the Lavender Cream after some fantastic reviews but after 1 shave I still think Proraso is my favorite. :eek:

I think you'd be better off using azscoob's idea of a pipe stand. He has pictures of it a few pages back. I'm currently scoping them out on fleabay.

Just did a 3-pass shave with the Super Speed and an Astra SP. It went very smoothly with the exception of the patch under my chin. Slight razor burn during the ATG pass. Everything else, no burn and BBS.

Well I gave in. I'm ready to ditch my mach3 and give a DE a try. I got a PIF over at b&b, a cheap Chinese DE, one I'm trying to get a cheap tech on eBay. I think I will wait on soap and a brush until my can of goop is gone though. I'm not so much unhappy with my previous shave as i'm looking forward to the Zen experience of it all.

What section did you find that in? I need to pick something up.

I currently only have a Merkur 1904 but am looking to pick up an Edwin Jagger DE87811 for my birthday.

Ordered my first Badger brush today, lost my old boar brush on vacation a few months ago and just been using soap in the shower.

I used to have another DE when I was in high school. lost it when I switched to a Mach 3 in college. Sad, I looked all over for that razor earlier this year. Don't miss the price of those mach 3 cartridges that's for sure.

Usually I only use the Wilkerson Swords, ordered a package of Feather's for the first time with the brush, hope I don't hamburger my face.

landshark said:
What section did you find that in? I need to pick something up.

I currently only have a Merkur 1904 but am looking to pick up an Edwin Jagger DE87811 for my birthday.

Ordered my first Badger brush today, lost my old boar brush on vacation a few months ago and just been using soap in the shower.

I used to have another DE when I was in high school. lost it when I switched to a Mach 3 in college. Sad, I looked all over for that razor earlier this year. Don't miss the price of those mach 3 cartridges that's for sure.

Usually I only use the Wilkerson Swords, ordered a package of Feather's for the first time with the brush, hope I don't hamburger my face.

It's actually a toothbrush holder so it was somewhere in the bathroom remodeling area. They had a few different types surprisingly.

Yeah,

I saw pics of that pipe stand! Dude, quite a great piece of engineering & I love the huge weld beads. I just don't think that Road Warrior look will happen in my wife's feminine bathroom. She just gave me the rant, "you have more do-dads than I do!" ;)

P.S. Did I see those pics here or on B&B? It's all starting to run together............................ I need another beer! :p

The folks over at badger & blade are really great. I joined and my first post about just getting into wet shaving was answered by one guy sending me a cheap entry level razor and another sending me some cream, a brush and a variety of blades. I didn't even have a chance to get my own razor! I'm still looking at some techs and news on eBay. Now at least I will have something to get me by until I find the right deal. Thanks to those of you in this thread for suggesting a visit to b&b.

Latest posts

Back