Wet Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazarous

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm getting ready to make my first wet hopped beer but have a few questions. Mainly wondering if there is any reason why you wouldn't or couldn't "dry" hop a beer with wet hops? And if so is there anything special that you need to do to them before you dump them in your secondary?

Lazarous said:
Hey all, I'm getting ready to make my first wet hopped beer but have a few questions. Mainly wondering if there is any reason why you wouldn't or couldn't "dry" hop a beer with wet hops? And if so is there anything special that you need to do to them before you dump them in your secondary?

I am about to do the same. I don't think there is any reason not to. Biggest concern for me would be wild yeast contamination, but the risk is low since it would be difficult for the wild yeast to "overtake" the brewing yeast. I would wait until after primary fermentation which is normal dry hopping time anyway. Should be OK.

Great, that's what I thought. Also whould the same ratio of 4-5 oz wet to one oz dry still apply with the dry hop?

Back