Westvleteren 12 Clone - using something other than D-180?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am very intrigued with the Westvleteren 12 Clone by CSI and am planning on brewing a 2.5 gallon version sometime very soon. My only question is this: I know that to be true to the clone one must use D-180 for both flavor and color, but what if I used my LHBS Dark Belgian Candy sugar that is 275L at 1 lb with 0.25 lbs regular sugar? I guess my point is I've never had the original beer so I have no idea what I am trying to clone, but I do love the Belgian Strong Ale category and would like to make a beer similar said beer above. Any thoughts?

Why not try to clone a beef you have had and know you like in that category?
The hard candy sugar will not be the same as the d-180. Period. From what I've observed in my currently fermenting Belgian Dark Strong, it does not add NEARLY as much color as the 275 would suggest, and incidentally not as much flavor.
You could try making your own invert sugar... I did it and it was easy

The hard candy sugar will not be the same as the d-180. Period.

This.

Candy Syrup is essential. Specialty malts wont get you there. Sugar rocks wont get you there. This goes for any of the Trappist beers and many of the Belgian "Abbey" beers.

There just isnt an adequate substitute.

Back