West coast ipa dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgbrew

Reaction score
Just put a west coast ipa in the fermenter at 65F. I've got the dry hops hanging by a magnet ready to go. My question is... when do you guys dry hop your west coast ipas? Do you wait until fermentation is done then a diacetyl rest then dry hop or do you start the dry hop at the end of fermentation but before FG? Some are fond of dry hopping after cold crashing which I'm not going to do.

I've been advised that it is best to do dry hop after fermentation is done. I usually do that, drop the hop bad in for 3 or 4 days and then keg or bottle. I time it that way so I don't have to open the bucket to get the bag out and introduce more O2. Not sure if it works or not. I am thinking of doing the magnet idea so I don't have to open the bucket lid at all.

With that being said, I don't do a diacetyl rest per se. My closet does what it does temp wise and has always been between 65 and 68 or so. I am trying to be more patient and leave it in the fermenting bucket for an extra week once I see the airlock slow down. I take my greavity readings every couple of days and when I notice little to no change, I dump the dry hops in, wait 3 or 4 days and then package.

Take that for what it is worth, as I am still new and my process is still being tweaked to the situation. RR

Latest posts

Back