Well, that's a first. . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLAY_DEAD

Reaction score
So I was stepping up a 2L yeast starter with about 1.5 more liters of wort (made with 3/4 cup of DME) and this happened overnight. My only question: still good to pitch in my 1.072 OG IPA this weekend? There is a really good yeast cake on bottom.

View attachment 1455099730644.jpg

I figured as much, thanks! Especially since I was stepping it up more than I needed to in the first place. I might add that it is WLP 001 with the "shaking" method. I've heard of this yeast doing this before.

I might clean up that jug some.
Bacteria will build up quickly on that krausen on the outside of the jug and when it dries it will flake off and could wind up in your fermentor when you pitch.
Wipe it clean and spray it down with StarSan. [emoji51]

I might clean up that jug some.
Bacteria will build up quickly on that krausen on the outside of the jug and when it dries it will flake off and could wind up in your fermentor when you pitch.
Wipe it clean and spray it down with StarSan. [emoji51]

Good call. I'll do that when I get home. I did wipe the mouth of the jug with a rag soaked in StarSan and replaced the foil with a new piece. I'm expecting similar results when this beer ferments.

Good call. I'll do that when I get home. I did wipe the mouth of the jug with a rag soaked in StarSan and replaced the foil with a new piece. I'm expecting similar results when this beer ferments.

Use a blow-off tube. ��

You might consider starting your fermentation at a cooler temperature for a few days, then let the temp climb to optimal levels.

Use a blow-off tube. ��

You might consider starting your fermentation at a cooler temperature for a few days, then let the temp climb to optimal levels.

Good advice for brewing beer, but the OP is making a starter. A blowoff tube will simply waste yeast. And temperature control is unnecessary with starters - you WANT them to multiply rapidly and completely.

The solution here is a single drop of Fermcap-S.

Good advice for brewing beer, but the OP is making a starter. A blowoff tube will simply waste yeast. And temperature control is unnecessary with starters - you WANT them to multiply rapidly and completely.

The solution here is a single drop of Fermcap-S.

I've now been reading about this stuff since having my first yeast explosion. My main question was is there enough yeast, which I'm pretty confident there is.

As for the beer, I always use a blow off tube when brewing, don't even waste time with an airlock anymore.

Use a blow-off tube. 😃

I'm assuming you mean start the beer fermentation at a lower temperature? Can you explain why?

I'm pretty sure that advice was directed toward the batch of beer, not the starter. Start it cooler and let it free rise, use a blow off tube on the batch of beer. If the starter is that active imagine what the batch will be like?

I'm assuming you mean start the beer fermentation at a lower temperature? Can you explain why?

A good rule of thumb is to pitch your yeast into wort that is at, or a few degrees below your target fermentation temp. Pitching yeast into wort that is below your target temp will slow the yeast down a bit. Give them time to do any reproducing they need to do and as they get more active their activity will raise the temp of the wort to your target temp.

Really you'd just be minimizing the chances of any off flavors.

That is correct. Hopfather gives some of the reasons above. Also, at lower temperatures, your fermentation won't be so vigorous, which will reduce the chances that this same thing will happen with the beer, thus reducing some mess. Then by letting the beer warm up to optimal fermentation temperatures after a couple days, you can ensure complete fermentation, and better allow the yeast to clean up any off-flavors it may have created, such as diacetyl.

That is correct. Hopfather gives some of the reasons above. Also, at lower temperatures, your fermentation won't be so vigorous, which will reduce the chances that this same thing will happen with the beer, thus reducing some mess. Then by letting the beer warm up to optimal fermentation temperatures after a couple days, you can ensure complete fermentation, and better allow the yeast to clean up any off-flavors it may have created, such as diacetyl.

How low should u let it start out at?

Do you have a ferm chamber of some sort? You can always chill as low as you can, place the carboy in the chamber and allow it to cool down to 62F-ish before you pitch.

Unfortunately I do not have a ferm chamber, but I do have a cool basement and it is 10 degrees outside!

I don't think we are even talking about starters anymore.
Keep your starters warm. If that doesn't work with the head space in your flask then get a bigger flask.
I have been working on my arsenal of vessels for doing starters for some time now from 50ml to 7,570 ml. Head space is not a problem and I quit using fermcap so now I don't have to forget to use it.
Your making yeast not beer and yeast make more yeast more efficiently when above 70 degrees.

Latest posts

Back