Well, it's been 3 weeks.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kernsie

Reaction score
....since I've bottled my first batch, a Nut Brown Ale from my LHBS.

I sampled two previously throughout the process & the carbonation was low & the beer smelled stale.

Now, after 3 weeks, slightly more carbonated but still that stale smell.

It tastes pretty good but even after I finished, the empty glass still had that stale smell.

Would the stale smell come from ingredients being old? I bought the kit from LHBS & who knows how long it might have been sitting there.

Thoughts?

If it smells and tastes stale then most likely that's what the problem was. Do you remember the recipe?

I got some older chocolate malt once and it was pretty obvious in the beer that it was stale. That's why I always munch on a few of each grain type I'm using before crushing. Well that and because it's tasty. :D

Sorry to hear about your first batch! But just imagine how great a batch with fresh ingredients will taste. :mug:

42964032.jpg

Here's the kit I bought.

It doesn't taste as stale...but the stale aroma you notice.

It's drinkable & the Holiday Ale should be soon.

Could just be the combination of malts and hops led to that smell, it's hard to say. It's also possible it's still a little young (there's a fair amount of extract there) so if you give it time it may go away.

I would think stale aroma would probably be due to hops maybe being a little dated/oxidized.

Save it and mix it with your Holiday Ale in a pitcher before serving...the flavors may counter each other or at least the (presumed) Holiday Ale will be slightly spiced to mask the other brew...only you (and us) will know...;)

Back