Well it happened....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkychef

Reaction score
I got my first infected beer today after almost 2 years of brewing.

Im fairly sure it was from reused yeast and didnt show its self till after it was exposed to O2 when it was dry hopped.
It still tasted great so I bottled it today but under my desired carb level for well knowing they will be needed to be downed quicker than normal ( happy that they are only had a OG of 1.030 and are only 2.7% and a half batch of low cost AG pale ale)

My big thing is bottling buckets where I live run about $50 (crazy huh!) Can I pasteurize my current buckets fermenter and bottling buckets? Fill them with 80°c + water for 20-30min to kill anything or do I have to shell out the dough for new plastics.

Ps i have other tubing and bottling wand thats not a problem.

And info would be great.

A bleach bomb wouldn't hurt to go along with he next to boiling water.
Just be very careful if you put boiling water in a bucket and agitate it, it can quickly build pressure.

Thank you already aware!

also I always bleach bomb everything after and clean then starsan it before it gets stored away So they are currently in the bleaching process!

You can use basically any kind of plastic bucket for bottling, as long as it is food-safe. Check out places like the local bakery- they use 5 gallon buckets for things like frosting all the time and just throw them away. My bucket is an old 5 gallon bucket from when I used to work at a local market/grocery store, which was previously used to store... feta cheese! That's right, old feta cheese bucket being used 5+ years later! Still use one for my StarSan bucket as well.

All you have to do is spend a few bucks on an Italian-style spigot and you're good to go!

thank you, there are no places like that to get buckets around here.

I did put the hot water in them to pasteurize them, see how it goes it was hot enough to soften them but not melt them then filled them with starsan. the proof will be in the next batch. might be a half batch just to make sure its gone.

Might start looking for more buckets anyway Im sure I can find uses for them around the house.

How strong are you making your bleach solutions? I'd recommend at least 500 ppm for plastic - at those levels the bleach can easily dissolve organics like biofilms that might have formed in tiny scratches in the plastic. At those levels be careful handling the bleach solution - it can harm your skin with prolonged exposure.

I got my first infected beer today after almost 2 years of brewing.

Im fairly sure it was from reused yeast and didnt show its self till after it was exposed to O2 when it was dry hopped.
It still tasted great so I bottled it today but under my desired carb level for well knowing they will be needed to be downed quicker than normal ( happy that they are only had a OG of 1.030 and are only 2.7% and a half batch of low cost AG pale ale)

My big thing is bottling buckets where I live run about $50 (crazy huh!) Can I pasteurize my current buckets fermenter and bottling buckets? Fill them with 80°c + water for 20-30min to kill anything or do I have to shell out the dough for new plastics.

Ps i have other tubing and bottling wand thats not a problem.

And info would be great.

just wondering if it tastes great what makes you sure it is infected? I know when i dry hop it often releases oils that form whitish bubbles on the surface.
Happened to me, i was sure my brew was infected - but it tasted great and stayed tasting great long after bottling. After a bit of investigation on this forum, i hear its common.... Just a thought..
Cheers to beer!
:mug:

ive got my first couple of sours about 2-3 months in and that iceberg look they get on top and when you move it it bunches together not like oil on the surface. so fairly sure. never the less its bottled, and Im going to drink it no matter what any body says. its my beer and keep away....
haha I love beer!

ive got my first couple of sours about 2-3 months in and that iceberg look they get on top and when you move it it bunches together not like oil on the surface. so fairly sure. never the less its bottled, and Im going to drink it no matter what any body says. its my beer and keep away....
haha I love beer!

Grrr the dreaded white slime !
As a side note about your buckets - i have had 2 infections so far and basically cleaned the buckets like a crazy man possessed - then left them half full of sterilizer - on the side, upside down, round and round -then multiple paranoid level sprays with the star san..... the point is i have fermented in these buckets many many times since then with no infections so dont give up on your buckets they'll be fine..
Star san in a spray bottle is my saving grace - i spray everything with it. Even the cat gets a spray - as do the kids.

It could be the infection started from the addition of the hops.

So I would try the bleach bomb, then sanitize very well before doing a small or inexpensive brew as the next one.

BTW, using sanitizer in the cleanup and storage process is a waste unless you keep the equipment wet the entire time. Once the sanitizer dries your equipment is no longer sanitary. Use the sanitizer just before using the equipment on brew day.

Cheers guys. Yeah bit far away for shipping stuff from over seas. But I did find some online where I live that are about that price anyway.
Every thing has been double cleaned and stored. I might do a half batch next week if I get time to brew

Back