Weldless Fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AkBrewer49

Reaction score
Has anyone put a sample port in a 1/2bbl Sanke Keg. Wanting to put one up about 1/3 way from the bottom so I can sample off a sour solera. Thinking a weldless fitting mated to a triclover fitting. I think I can use a breaker bar and socket to reach through the top...

Thoughts

This is an uncut keg, right? That sounds like a really tough installation.

I'd probably talk to a welder first and see what he'd charge to add a port. If it was crazy expensive, I'd try it.

A weldless will eventually require new O-rings and occasional snugging. There's also the whole Teflon tape thing going on. I'd worry about keeping it all clean. When you're boiling it's not a big deal, but it might be for long-term aging.

I silver soldered a tc flange from brew hardware for a sample valve in my 1/2 fermenting keg. Works great

What about taking a sanke spear and chopping it short? Like 10 inches long. That would put the inlet in the middle of definite liquid beer. If the keg is sealed there would easily be enough pressure to push out a sample ?

That's a good idea... I will ponder that... I can always use the fermenter add on for thesending kegs, it is just spendy...

Back