Welding Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerhoppitus

Reaction score
Sort of a nube here, I decided its time to move out of the kitchen and build a brew stand. Im trying to weld it, problem is I dont know how to weld, but i feel like this is as good a time as any to learn. So, in doing some research Ive come across a relatively cheap Flux welder from harbor freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/mig-flux-welders/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-98871.html

Would this be a good machine to learn on? or just a waste of money? benifits of this vs mig welding or reasons to go mig? and would it be sufficient to weld 1 & 1/2" square steel 16ga? Also, while on the topic, any have an opinion on that material for the brew stand... think it will be strong enough?

Any other advice would be appreciated. I realize this might be something for a welding forum but i figured enough people on here are welding experts or have been in a similar position. thanks guy. much appreciated

i'm not a welder, either, but i asked a master-level welder about this 1. he said it is perfect for a casual welder

I'm not a welder and can barely stick two pieces of metal together, but IMHO flux core welding is an easy way to learn the basics. I've also heard that the HF cheapies are decent machines to learn on, especially for the price. If I were you I'd spend a couple extra bucks on the next step up so that you can add gas for MIG welding later on.
http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/mig-flux-welders/120-amp-230-volt-mig-and-flux-welder-97503.html
I've used that welder a couple times for MIG, and it seemed adequate to my untrained eye. Good luck!

I have owned one of those welders (2 actually, as a former friend borrowed the first one, and never returned it). Don't let its price fool you: they're excellent machines, very rugged, and easy to work with.
The fluw cored system has pros and cons. It doesn't need shielding gas (so the machine is easier to set up and learn), but it makes a lot of slag when welding, so you better have a good grinder with you.
About learning, I'm not a welder either, and within 5 minutes of practice, I was welding #18 sheet metal without a problem. Wasn't pretty, but it was solid. Pretty came with time, and a lot of grinding.
I recommend you to buy it. You can't get a better bang for the buck.

Just 3 tips:

When it's time to buy extra wire (the machine comes with one roll), make sure you don't buy the copper coated one. It tends to transfer to the rollers, and makes them slip.

If you can, get the auto darkening helmet too. It'll make your life much easier than the POS mask the welder comes with.

Go to Home Depot, and buy the "Welder's Handbook". It has a ton of good info on how to set up your welder, choose your wire, etc.

If you think there is a chance you will get bit by the welding bug ... Go for a MIG! It can open a better learning path. I learned MIG then oxy then stick then tig. If I had to do it over again I would have postponed mig until after I learned oxy.

Two points to consider while you learn ... Play the most relaxing music you have with a beat (I was always partial to bob marly when teaching people). The music will help you develop a rhythm. Secondly, reflect while you weld on the idea you are fusing two parts into one with lighting! Very cool concept! Best of luck!

i do a lot of welding, but im not certified, i would recommend you read
51F8GGE72AL._SS500_.jpg
, it is a great resource for the beginner.

Wow, thanks for the quick replies. I think im going to go for it. once I get some practice under my belt hopefully i can post a "Brew Rig Build" post, thanks again!

A big +1 on the harbor freight auto dark helmet. You can often find a coupon for it or find it on sale bringing the price under $50. Even at full price it's a good deal, and will make your life much much easier. I really wish I'd had one when I first learned to weld.

+1 for an old school 10/11/12 shade hemet with a 4x4 and gold plated lens. Never liked autos myself. Though when you are learning, it can be difficult to learn to hold you hands still and snap you neck to drop your hood. Try to pick up some sweat bands and extra lens covers for your hood too.

doctorsbro said:
10/11/12 lens for mig welding?? Thats what i use for tig and an 9 for mig.... if it as welding at high amps maybe a 10 or 11

Yeah that's what the gold plating is for... Reflects a bunch of the UV back onto your work. Over a long day of welding, a dark lens will alleviate a lot of the stress/strain on your eyes. I have always gone as dark as I can while still barely being able to see.

hey beerhoppitus, let us know your thoughts on the welder (getting the mig or the originally posted fluxcore?) when you get it. I'm sure there are a lot of welding-virgins besides myself out there that would be interested in your experience.

My 2 cents on welders...I started out using a friends HF welder years ago for car stuff and furniture and found it to be very frustrating. You can never get high quality welds or any consistency with these things...you get what you pay for. I upgraded to a nice Miller unit because I continued to do quite a bit of welding over the years, and it is awesome to use. The welder was like $600 back then plus another $80 for a shielding gas tank (you can use these units with flux core too) but I have no regrets. If you think you are going to be doing a bit of welding over the years, pony up the dough for a quality machine from Lincoln or Miller, but if not, you might be better off paying someone to make the stand instead of buying a cheap welder. There are probably people like me out there that would do a small welding project for some beer.

Just 3 tips:

When it's time to buy extra wire (the machine comes with one roll), make sure you don't buy the copper coated one. It tends to transfer to the rollers, and makes them slip.

The reason the copper coated(solid wire) slips is because flux core wire, and solid wire use different drive rollers.

Just thought I'd let you all know that.

note: if you DO get a harbor freight welder, enter SHOP20 as a coupon code and get 20% off.

I'm not positive, but I think all of the 20% and 25% off coupons and codes specificaly exclude welders and air compressors. Good looking out though, and worth a try either way.

I'm not a welder and can barely stick two pieces of metal together, but IMHO flux core welding is an easy way to learn the basics. I've also heard that the HF cheapies are decent machines to learn on, especially for the price. If I were you I'd spend a couple extra bucks on the next step up so that you can add gas for MIG welding later on.
http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/mig-flux-welders/120-amp-230-volt-mig-and-flux-welder-97503.html
I've used that welder a couple times for MIG, and it seemed adequate to my untrained eye. Good luck!

I have owned this welder for years. Great for beginners and as long as your not running it 12 hours a day it will last. When you run it to much the thermo breaker kicks. but no big deal just let it cool.All in all great for the money and will weld up to 1/2 steel.

I have owned this welder for years. Great for beginners and as long as your not running it 12 hours a day it will last. When you run it to much the thermo breaker kicks. but no big deal just let it cool.All in all great for the money and will weld up to 1/2 steel.

Welding machines have a "duty cycle" that prevents the machine from overheating and being damaged.

Industrial welding machines will have a duty cycle of 60-100% which means they can be used almost continuously all day long.

A hobbyist machine normally has a duty cycle of 20% which means it can weld for 2 minutes out of a 10 minute cycle at given output amperage. Usually the upper limit of it's maximum amperage.
20% is the lowest duty cycle you should ever see on any welding machine.
The duty cycle will increase to 40 to 100% when using say half the machines maximum amperage.

Even at 20% duty cycle you really have to be under the hood pumping out long welds to exceed the machines limit.
With mig it is much easier to hit that 20% than with stick or tig.

Duty cycle should not be seen as a restrictive specification, but more from a productivity standpoint.

I was looking at the same welder as I am ready to start building my brewstand. Good to hear all the good comments. I will be buying also, can't wait to get started.

richbrew99 said:
I was looking at the same welder as I am ready to start building my brewstand. Good to hear all the good comments. I will be buying also, can't wait to get started.

Glad I could help. Post pics of your build. I'm planning on doing the same thing and would like to c how yours is done.

I bought the 120 Amp MIG/Flux Wire Welder with Wheels from HF a couple months ago and had never welded before specifically to build a brew stand. I also bought some cutoff wheels for my 10" compound miter saw. I didn't have a 220V outlet so I had an electrician friend of mine install an outlet in my garage and got to work. Definitely get an auto darkening helmet it will make your life so much easier. I didn't really practice on anything, just started welding and it wasn't pretty at first but you'll get the hang of it. The hardest thing to weld was the windscreen sheet metal cause I burned through it. When you are welding the tubing make little circles with the gun and you'll get some pretty good looking welds. Like others have said it produces quite a bit of slag and takes some grinding but it's no big deal. Here's how mine came out.
011d5b7d.jpg

0b572498.jpg

87cd110d.jpg

a8f54e0a.jpg

That looks beutiful I can only hope mine turns out that nice.

Beerloaf

no doubt in my mind as a welder. that an everlast welder would be where I would start. power pro 205.

http://www.everlastgenerators.com/PowerPro-205-379-pd.html

Yes yes i see it is more expensive than a harbor freight one. However...... (ok flame suit on) these things are awesome! they are a combo unit; stick, tig, and plasma cutter.

I have a miller dynasty 200dx, a 5k$ plus welder and love it. but these everlast boxes run you under 2k when all set up AND have a plasma cutter built into them.

If you have just ONE project to weld go as cheep as possible to get the job done. If you think you might enjoy it and know for a fact that you will never be welding 1in thick plate then this everlast will be the LAST WELDER YOU WOULD EVER NEED FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

I know several professional welders who use this thing for a living yet a lot of schools teach with them due to their low cost and as far as learning youtube will be your friend.

and just if you were wondering i have been kicking myself for spending the extra money on a blue box. it doesnt have a plasma cutter in it.

Yeah, the everlast stuff is an awesome deal (although I HATE combo machines), but recommending 2 grand worth of equipment to somebody who has never welded before when they're looking at something that will be about $130 out the door just to build a brewstand is silly.

Really silly.

http://www.everlastgenerators.com/PowerPro-205-379-pd.html

Yes yes i see it is more expensive than a harbor freight one. However...... (ok flame suit on) these things are awesome! they are a combo unit; stick, tig, and plasma cutter.

More expensive? Ya think???:D:D
They're a combo unit: stick, tig, plasma cutter...and no mig. Do you really expect somebody who never before welded to just pick up a Tig and get it done? Just like that?

Besides that, I agree with Hypnolobster.

I signed up for a welding class at the adult night school here in town, aka the High School. It starts in January, can't wait. I wonder how many homebrewers are motivated to learn welding with sights of a kicka$$ brewstand in mind? Probably plenty. Great luck with your new endeavor!

I would recommend going to Lowes or Home Depot and picking up a spool or two of the Lincoln brand flux core wire. It will leave less slag behind, compared to Harbor Freight wire.

Back