Welding a false bottom to a SS pot and inserting into a keg MLT???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonkeyWrench

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has done so, if not..why?

What I am thinking about is getting a large but cheap SS pot and cut the bottom out completely and weld on a false bottom. This would then insert down into the keg MLT and the grain goes inside. Then when sparge is done, just remove the pot/false bottom that contains all of your spent grain and dispose.

Bottom drain would probably be neccessary, that would compicate things. Any other draw backs to such a system. Yes, I know wet grain is heavy, but too heavy to lift out?

Obvoiusly temperature monitoring would need to be done from above, but this would be in a RIMS system I am planning, so temp will be close to PID settings anyway.

Opinions???

if your going to cut the bottom out why not just drill holes in the bottom then you dont haft to cut or weld the bottom it kind of sounds like a zappap or what ever it is from the joys of hombrewing

Actually Steve, I remember following your build for the first couple months, that's probably where I got the idea. I guess the main difference would be that I plan to use two vessels and on-demand sparge through the RIMS tube at 6000+ watts. I guess my main concern is lifting the grain bill for a 10g batch.

Kgfitz, you make a good point, I could just insert false bottom and drill large holes in the existing bottom of my pot...no need to weld.

if your going to cut the bottom out why not just drill holes in the bottom then you dont haft to cut or weld the bottom it kind of sounds like a zappap or what ever it is from the joys of hombrewing

I think cutting out the original bottom and tack welding in a false bottom (no need for a full weld) would be easier/quicker than drilling hundreds (tens?) of holes through the stainless steel bottom.

Back