Welded Hole in Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stbnj

Reaction score
Hi! I am new to kegging and picked up a couple of pin lock kegs off ebay. Anyway, today I pulled one out to prep it for filling tomorrow. I noticed what I thought at first was a clump of dried up syrup. Well when I went to scrap it off with my finger nail I realized it was the other side of a weld. Its a really nasty weld on the inside. I am concerned that it will not hold pressure and even if it does that I will never be able to get it sanitized properly. I am disappointed because the ebay seller had a pretty good rep and otherwise it is a great keg but I guess they over looked this. And since its really not worth paying the shipping to return it what else can I use this for?

Thanks!

Oh damn... that stinks... I wouldn't use it for a keg or fermentor if it has a bad weld inside. Maybe you could clean it good and use it for a soda keg, or perhaps a chemical reservoir... like put PBW in it and push it through your taps, etc.

see if you can work out some sort of deal w/ the seller. Maybe get 50% of your money back (ideally 100%).

Where is the weld located? Can you solder over it to make it sanitary?

if it wasnt disclosed in the auction, i would file a paypal dispute if the seller refuses to accept a return for refund.

however it depends on the terms of the auction; if he said "selling as-is, no returns", you are kind of screwed. however if it was marketed as a good usable keg with no defects, you have good reason to file a claim with paypal.

Just a follow up to this but the seller Beverage Elements immediately sent me a new keg at no cost once I showed them the pictures. I would definitely recommend them and now I have an extra keg for spare parts.

Back