Welcome to cursed kegging, c02 for the whole family

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khillian

Reaction score
Hey HBT,

Arrived home to a great sight, high pressure gauge reading 0.

1175200_857675405000_1051018778_n.jpg

I have been cursed!, this is 2 tanks in a row (each time swaps)! The only thing I have changed is those washers displayed, the yellow plastic washer came with the tank but I switched to those grey compression washers thinking they were better (throw away after each use). This morning high pressure was reading 650 so I turned off the low pressure to the kegs but left the tank on, arrive home at 0. I think this has to be leaking tank->regulator connection or in the chamber of the regulator since I turned off the low pressure side?

What do yall think? I will get a tank swap Saturday and check the high pressure connection but I did last time too.. could this be leaking somewhere in the regulator before the low pressure valves?

So frustrated, been kegging since January of this year, brewing for 4 years. My last two 5 gallon batches of beer did not turn out and I have been forced to dump them... One was a fresh wet hopped beer which smelled like vegetables and the other a pale which tasted oxidized with no hop flavor or aroma.

You don't have a curse, you have a leak!

Have you sprayed all around the regulator connections/housing with soapy water? If you're blowing out a whole keg in a day or a few days, that's a substantial leak, and you would surely pick it up with some soap. Good luck!

spray bottle with soapy water will reveal your leak. I had a bad keg coupling to hose once the little plastic washer was missing and it killed a brand new 20# tank I was a little peeved.

-=Jason=-

12 - 1.jpg

I am a fan of the yellow gas tape (like teflon) on all threaded connections. I know some say it isn't needed, but I have yet to have a leak using it.

I am a fan of the yellow gas tape (like teflon) on all threaded connections. I know some say it isn't needed, but I have yet to have a leak using it.

It's not just that it isn't needed, it can actually interfere with a proper seal on some types of threaded connections. Use it for NPT fittings only. On a flare fitting (like the MFL pictured above), or a regulator-to-tank (CGA) fitting it should never be used.

It's not just that it isn't needed, it can actually interfere with a proper seal on some types of threaded connections. Use it for NPT fittings only. On a flare fitting (like the MFL pictured above), or a regulator-to-tank (CGA) fitting it should never be used.

while i enjoy arguing with Zach, he is correct on this!!

Not to be argumentative, but if the connection doesn't leak then how is it interfering with a proper seal? Isn't a proper seal one that doesn't leak?

they aren't designed to be used with the tape. flare fittings use the flare to make the seal. when you add tape, the flare doesn't seat properly.

the tank fitting uses the nylon washer to seal. the are lots of fittings and connections that seal and don't require tape.

just because something works doesn't mean it's proper.

That makes sense. I guess it's like math... you can get the same answer a couple of different ways but if you don't use the correct formula then your correct answer is incorrect! I think I will discontinue my use of tape though. Thanks :mug:

That makes sense. I guess it's like math... you can get the same answer a couple of different ways but if you don't use the correct formula then your correct answer is incorrect! I think I will discontinue my use of tape though. Thanks :mug:

You definitely want to use the tape on the NPT fittings, like where the valves and gauges screw into the body of the regulator. Those fittings are tapered, and the threads make the seal. The tape (or pipe dope) helps lubricate the threads so you can get it tight enough so that the threads mate. Plus it serves to fill in any tiny imperfections.

npt-end-fitting.jpg

You definitely want to use the tape on the NPT fittings, like where the valves and gauges screw into the body of the regulator. Those fittings are tapered, and the threads make the seal. The tape (or pipe dope) helps lubricate the threads so you can get it tight enough so that the threads mate. Plus it serves to fill in any tiny imperfections.

npt-end-fitting.jpg

Ok, I appreciate you taking the time to explain it. Thank you :mug:

fwiw, occasionally one will find a tank with a failing stem packing, such that the tank valve will leak if partially opened. They'll seal tight when the valve is closed tight, and some will hold gas if they're opened all the way to the stop, but set the valve in between and there will be leakage along the valve stem. So when doing the bubble test with the tank coupled to the regulator, make sure to hit the valve stem with the soap/water or standard Star San mix while it's partially (let's say half-way) opened.

Not that this is the OPs problem - the odds of getting two such tanks in a row are pretty low - just a psa wrt potential places where gas can escape that some may not consider...

Cheers!

edit: nevermind. I thought there was a debate but it was just me misreading. Carry on!

Update,

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement. I got my tank swapped out yesterday and brewed up a Blind Pig Clone. Last night I connected the tank with the plastic style washer and not those grey cardboard ones. Checked for leaks around the high pressure side and around the regulator connectors with Star San bubbles. I noticed no obvious leaks.

When I went to check the low pressure side, I submerged the gas plastic connectors into a cup of Star San, turned on the gas to 4 PSI and opened the low pressure valve. I then observed this,

kegleak.gif

It bubbles about every 15 seconds or so, the thing is my new connector I tried on my second line also bubbles like this... are they both bad? I assume this is not normal?

Definitely not normal. The cap/insert may just be not-tight-enough. Use a wide blade screw driver and tighten it up. If that doesn't help, remove the QD cap - do this over something that will catch any parts that pop out. There should be a thin black plastic o-ring/gasket that fits the cap and seals it...

$T2eC16F,!zoE9s5nc3GoBQPO!Hvs3g~~60_3.JPG

[edit]Note that the plunger is up-side-down in this picture - the tapered end actually points down, not up.

Cheers!

Definitely not normal. The cap/insert may just be not-tight-enough. Use a wide blade screw driver and tighten it up. If that doesn't help, remove the QD cap - do this over something that will catch any parts that pop out. There should be a thin black plastic o-ring/gasket that fits the cap and seals it...

$T2eC16F,!zoE9s5nc3GoBQPO!Hvs3g~~60_3.JPG

[edit]Note that the plunger is up-side-down in this picture - the tapered end actually points down, not up.

Cheers!

Hahaha, whoever put that picture together should be made to assemble an entire years worth of corny QDs!
From OP's gif it does look like the cap on the QD is not screwed down enough - mine are flush with the QD body when tighten correctly. Do as Day tripper suggests and take it apart , check and reassemble - just don't do it in the kitcken sink without the plug in the drain!
BTW this is another place where thread tape should not be used ;):D

Hey,

Gave both QD's a quick half turn and the leak has stopped! Thanks everyone!

Now I gotta wait 2 weeks for this Blind Pig clone to ferment before dry hopping in the keg. Transferring my black rye ipa into my 2nd keg right now to sit on the dry hops for 5 days!

Cheers!

You guys are randomly awesome. On Friday I installed a secondary regulator. I had difficulty getting the primary gauge off the hi port and had brought it into my office so I could work on it a bit more comfortably. Later on, I found a white plastic washer like the one in the top picture. It was familiar, but I couldn't place where it actually came from.

Happy to report that no CO2 was harmed in the making of this adventure, and my washer is once again properly installed!

Latest posts

Back