Welch's Grape Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewH

Reaction score
I started out experimenting by making hard cider from bottled apple juice
and Yesterday I started to make wine using Welch's grape juice..

I put in 3 cups of sugar and I used regular bred yeast and two tea spoons of
a rasin puree for feeding the yeast.

I want to make a sparkling wine, but I am not sure of how long to let this batch
ferment before clarifying it then racking it the first time and after the first rack how soon before I bottle it and add the finishing tablets..

Below are link's of two pics of my hydrometer readings with out and with sugar and a video of the airlock.

Thanks for looking and any input

Without Sugar

With Sugar

Video Link

This was my first experiment, I used 100% Welche's grape juice, 2 cup of sugar a gallon and baking yeast. Without any racking it went clear in 1 month. Didn't turn out as I expected. Tasted sorta like champagne, strong alcohol taste and didn't smell like wine suppose to. Never racked it or added finishing tablets so thats where it could of turned wrong, hope your goes better with welches ;)

I also tried this sort of thing. Here is my recipe:

10 cans frozen juice concentrate
12 pounds cane sugar
2 packs champagne yeast
top of with clean water to make up 5 gallons

It has been fermenting at approximately 74 degrees since the 2nd of November. Not sure how this will turn out, but I tried it before with a 5 gallon batch that consisted of 5 cans of frozen concentrate, 4 pounds of cane sugar and a pack of bread yeast. It didn't turn out bad after in clarified, but it did have a bitter after taste even after it had aged several months.

Back