Weizen Secondary Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmorrison

Reaction score
A recipe in a brew magazine, for a Paulaner Hefe clone, called for the beer to go into a secondary once the primary ferment was done, and to be bottle/kegged when clear.

I've heard of bottling/kegging hefe right after primary ferment, and I've heard of letting hefe sit in the primary for extra time if you expect a larger amount of conditioning is needed, but I've never heard of using a secondary for a powdery style. The yeast in this recipe is Wy3638.

To test the recipe, I brewed it (4 days ago) and I split the wort into two fermenters. One fermenter will follow the recipe's ferment schedule, the other will stay in its primary fermenter for 21 days before going into bottles and keg.

What differences do you expect between the two beers? I'll take the beers to the local homebrewers' association next month to see what certified judges think, and will report back here if anybody is interested in hearing the results.

Important note: There was a lot of blowoff, which I suppose may have the same effect as skimming krausen (slower fermentation, maybe less yeast in suspension, more or less yeast propagation flavors?). The beers are 4.25 gallon batches fermenting in 5 gallon corny kegs, so there was very little headspace for the very active yeast.

Other question: the recipe called for a 120 minute boil, while the longest boil I've ever seen before is 90 minutes (for brews with 6-row malts).

The full mash/boil for the recipe (I'd put this in
tags but I can't figure out how)

65% wheat malt
33% bohemian pilsner malt
2% acid malt

Mash in at 100F, 1.5 quarts per lb of grain
103F beta glucan rest 15min
111F ferulic acid rest 15 min
133F protein rest 30 min
153F Saccrification rest 45 min
(25% decoction taken 15 min into Sacc rest, boiled for 15 minutes and returned to mash tun)

120 minute boil
Hallertau to 12 IBU, boil 120 minutes

Pitched Wyeast 3638 at 65-70 degrees
Each batch is 4.25 gallons fermented in a corny keg, with a 1 liter starter each. Ambient temp is 65 degrees.

Should be interesting. I imagine the secondary will be slightly clearer/cleaner, but it will be interesting to see. Pretty impressive mash schedule; wish I had that capability.

I'm interested to see how this turns out. I would like to do a Kristalweizen in the future and maybe I can get rid of some of the yeast ahead of time by doing a secondary before filtering.

Back