Weirdest Wort Ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeitgeister

Reaction score
I will admit that I probably did something wrong in the process (see more below), but I just started fermenting the oddest wort I have ever seen. Letting the wort cool for about 30 minutes, when transferring to the fermenter, it looked gelatinous. While about half of it was more-or-less normal-looking liquid, the last gallon or so was an oozy, semi-liquid mass. Thinking that since I was in this deep, I might as well see where the rabbit hole goes, I tried to salvage the ooze by adding water (seems to have worked), but I have no idea what I'm dealing with here.

Not certain as to what happened, but I think it was likely the result of either:
  • adding 10 pellets of Irish moss (recipe called for 1 tsp.... I have no idea what the conversion is)
  • leaving it to cool for a half hour

This is the first time I am going from a recipe (as opposed to a kit), and it is an adventure.

Any ideas?

Irish Moss is Carrageenan. At high enough concentrations it forms gels with itself in a 'house of cards' structure. Sheer (mixing) will liquify the gel, but it will reform unless you added enough water to get below the critical concentration. Check your wort after a few days.

You may have made beer pudding. I hope you filed your patent before posting..

I've never used Irish moss in pellets, but I just did a brew today with regular irish moss and noticed for the first time some weird gelatinous blobs during the boil. They went away with more boiling, at what point did you add them?

seems from these postings that the Whirfloc tablets (thanks for the correction, Fnord) are the culprit. I figure that since I might as well see what happens from here-- secondary fermentation starts next week-- I'll let you know how it goes.

A shame too... this recipe (maple ale) was incredibly popular last time I made it (not to mention expensive ingredients)

wow
just did the research and found out that whirfloc goes for 1/2 tablet for 5 gallons.... I added 10

Zeitgeister said:
wow
just did the research and found out that whirfloc goes for 1/2 tablet for 5 gallons.... I added 10

One of the brewers on CYBI added way too much to a batch, to the point that the wort boiled over and solidified.

IIRC, Jamil detected a fishy/marine odor. Many other testers couldn't detect anything.

You will probably be fine. Or not. Either way, please post results!

Okay... first fermentation done, and it looks like we're going somewhere. THe Wort itself tasted decent, and the ooze seemed to mostly sedimentize (although there is a lot.

Out of five gallons, I racked only top four, as the bottomed seemed to have a consistency of oatmeal. I'm worried that I gave up flavor though... does anyone think that if I prime it with maple sugar before bottling?

More updates on the slime to follow

Back