Weird yeast activity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave37

Reaction score
Racked my BGS over to my secondary glass carboy after 22 days in the primary and after a couple of days I'm seeing some weird activity from the leftover yeast that made it to my secondary. I attached a pic showing what I believe to be some small clumps of yeast still alive and floating in my wort. While some clumps are sinking down to the bottom of the carboy, others are floating up to the top then sinking again. They are pretty much doing vertical laps in the pool. Is this normal? Or is it weird that the yeast looks like that and is still active after almost 1 full month? This is my 1st secondary fermentation. Thanks in advance for any insight.

image-1356288189.jpg

Thanks yooper and Pablo. Good to know. This is only my 3rd batch ever. So I'm still paranoid about every unexpected thing that comes up. HBT is the shiznit. Thanks

I have a similar secondary question and thought I'd mention it here. I'm sorry if I took over someone else's thread.
I racked my holiday ale to glass carboy secondary two weeks ago and added two cinnamon sticks. After about eight days I started getting a head on the beer. My LHBS guy (who is a brewing savant) said it could be either infection or atmospheric pressure change (I'm on the east coast and it did coincide with Sandy.)
Since I don't want to leave it in there if it's infected, and I can't bottle it if its still fermenting, I'm cold crashing it out back for 24 hours and then bottling.
Is this the best move or are there any other suggestions out there? Will cold crashing help drop infection out at all?

I have a similar secondary question and thought I'd mention it here. I'm sorry if I took over someone else's thread.
I racked my holiday ale to glass carboy secondary two weeks ago and added two cinnamon sticks. After about eight days I started getting a head on the beer. My LHBS guy (who is a brewing savant) said it could be either infection or atmospheric pressure change (I'm on the east coast and it did coincide with Sandy.)
Since I don't want to leave it in there if it's infected, and I can't bottle it if its still fermenting, I'm cold crashing it out back for 24 hours and then bottling.
Is this the best move or are there any other suggestions out there? Will cold crashing help drop infection out at all?

No cold crashing won't remove an infection. If it IS fermenting you want to let it go. It could be just CO2 offgassing. What is the gravity? Has it been stable?

Gravity was 1.012. I had @ 90% attenuation after primary. No activity for first week in secondary. We lost power for two days after Sandy and had some pretty significant temperature changes. I had a bacillus infection in my last brew and this looks nothing like it. I'm hoping its just CO2 blow off.

Gravity was 1.012. I had @ 90% attenuation after primary. No activity for first week in secondary. We lost power for two days after Sandy and had some pretty significant temperature changes. I had a bacillus infection in my last brew and this looks nothing like it. I'm hoping its just CO2 blow off.

I would just check it again in a couple days. If it's still 1.012, you're golden.

Back