Weird taste in water from SS kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desabat

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced this? I'm using a new SS kettle tomorrow and was cleaning/testing it out. The water from the 1st test boil looked slightly brownish and smelled like plastic. I cleaned with PBW and then boiled some water in it for a second time. This time the water looked clear but still had that plastic smell and the taste is weird as well kinda like hose water. The tap water im using tastes fine before boiling in the kettle.

Not sure what to do? Should I cancel my brew day and contact the manufacturer or is there something else I can try?

Hey, first time I cooled I used a new wort chiller which might explain the color but second time I just opened the valve and poured hot water on to a glass and waited for it to chill.

This morning I realized the taste and smell is pretty similar to a new floating thermometer https://www.homebrewsupply.com/8-1-4in-true-brew-floating-thermometer.html I was trying out during the first boil as well and forgot to take it out before I noticed the smell. Now the blue part of the thermometer smells kinda weird like the water coming out of the kettle.

How can I completely remove this smell/odor from my kettle?

Does your tap water have chlorine or chloramines? All municipal water will have some.

Try cleaning your kettle with Barkeepers Friend and then boil some distilled or RO water for another test.

edit: Forgot to add. Let the kettle air dry after cleaning with BF. The acid in the BF will passivate the SS.

Does your tap water have chlorine or chloramines? All municipal water will have some.

Try cleaning your kettle with Barkeepers Friend and then boil some distilled or RO water for another test.

edit: Forgot to add. Let the kettle air dry after cleaning with BF. The acid in the BF will passivate the SS.

Thanks! I tried barkeepers friend and it removed the smell/taste and was able to make my batch today. :mug:

Back