Weird looking wort after pitching starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle87

Reaction score
Hi guys this is my first time on the site and only my third all grain batch. I usually ferment in a bucket but decided to use my carboy for this batch, I made a starter with s-04 ale yeast about 24 hours before pitching. After pitching my wort just looks really odd not sure if this is the way it should look or not (usually use a bucket) any advice would help thanks

image.jpg

Looks normal for a flocculant yeast like S-04. WY 1968 is another yeast that will yield the egg drop soup look.

This is normal. What you see is trub, probably the cold break material in your fermentor. It will settle out and shouldn't be an issue.

This is after about 2 hours in the fermenter. I was also wondering this is the first time using a whirfloc tablet could that be separating the trub and helping clear the beer already?

image.jpg

its fine just give it time. Just be careful of blowoff. Thats not a lot of headspace there

Yah that why I usually use the bucket but I thought it would be fun to be able to watch it once and when I dumped in my starter I thought uh oh but it fit

Back