Weird looking starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a starter for a brown ale I'm hoping to brew this weekend. I made the starter last night with some 2-3 month old slurry from my last beer (an ESB). I pitched about 8oz of Wyeast 1968 slurry into 1100mL of wort. I come home today, and the starter, to me, doesn't look right. It looks like chunks of yeast are being stirred around by the stir plate. I took a pic of the bottom of the flask, and it looks like sand.

ESB%20Yeast%20Starter%2002_zps9hlsnbjw.jpg

Have I let the slurry set too long and all the cells have died? There was a little bit of "sweat" on the inside of the flask, so I'm thinking some fermention has happened. I don't want to make this beer, pitch the yeast to see nothing happen.

When I used this yeast before in the ESB, fermentation really took off in a matter of hours. Even the starter I made back then had a decent looking krausen on it. This time around, nothing so I'm concerned.

I'm not sure if the color variation in the photo is just protein material from a starter wort or if you should be concerned (though I doubt you should be), however I have used yeast which was older than that, at least 4-5 months old with no issues.

If you know what your SG was roughly to begin with you cna take a SG reading to see if it has lowered to a typical FG range. If so I'm not sure I'd worry too much about it. IME yeast has done some funny things depending on the strain/age/season/etc and I've not had anything turn out bad directly because of yeast that I can recall. YMMV.

I use 1968 often, and when the starter is finished it looks like cottage cheese floating around in there.. as soon as I turn the stir plate off, it immediately drops out.
I would say it looks normal to me.

That was a lot of basically fresh yeast to pitch into a small starter. WY 1968 yeast is a highly flocculant yeast. Starters with it are usually described as looking like egg drop soup. You're okay.

That was a lot of basically fresh yeast to pitch into a small starter. WY 1968 yeast is a highly flocculant yeast. Starters with it are usually described as looking like egg drop soup. You're okay.

If it's done, then that was the quickest I've ever made a starter. I made that last night. It's not even 24 hours old. Do you (or anyone else) think I used to much slurry/too little wort? Would that be ok to pitch and if so, should I let the stir plate keep running, or go ahead and cold crash it til Saturday?

Do you have a refractometer? If so, take a reading. If it's low, cold crash.

8oz of slurry for 1.1L of wort seems like a lot of yeast to me. I usually make starters with a lot less. I know with new packs I've definitely had starters finish before 24hr myself. Seeing fermentation krausen only ensures the yeast is visibly viable though that might not always be present.

Do you have a refractometer? If so, take a reading. If it's low, cold crash.

8oz of slurry for 1.1L of wort seems like a lot of yeast to me. I usually make starters with a lot less. I know with new packs I've definitely had starters finish before 24hr myself. Seeing fermentation krausen only ensures the yeast is visibly viable though that might not always be present.

Yeah, I have a refractometer. I'll take a reading and cold crash if it's low.

Thanks for the help gang. :mug:

Let it run as long as the yeasty krausen layer is present. You've just made some alcohol, so a refractometer won't give you a true reading.

Let it run as long as the yeasty krausen layer is present. You've just made some alcohol, so a refractometer won't give you a true reading.

Not all fermentations make a large krausen layer especially if it's over pitched.

While alcohol creates an error factor in refractometer readings it will still read very different than pre-fermentation and give him what he needs to know.

For more information in refractometers, Northern Brewer was written this article.

Latest posts

Back