Weird liquid yeast smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papamike

Reaction score
Hi, I did a starter couple of minutes ago with a whitelabs english ale liquid yeast. It might sounds stupid but, what it is supposed to smell (i mean, the yeast tube once open)? Once shaked in the tube, the yeast looks like curdle cream (not alot of liquid). Anyway, I pitched to my starter and wait to see what's going to happen. So is my yeast ok?

Thanks

English strains usually look "curdled", have you ever used an english strain before? It may be just your unfamiliarity with them, they are quite different from american strains

Your yeast is fine.

There is really no "normal" way yeast is supposed to look or smell....most of the time it looks ugly and smell strange, but unless it smells like A gorilla's diaper that has been left on a hot asphalt road with cars going over it for a couple of 90+ degree days, then it is fine...

Yeast is really resiliant and amazing..It is rare to actually get "bad" yeast anymore.

I thanks to all. To answer your question, it's the first time I use english strains.
I'm feeling better now!
Thanks

Back