Weird Brew: I want a Steele Reserve clone!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isaac1200

Reaction score
Ok this is it. I enjoy real beer. Really real beer that is brewed from the heart and souls of us brewers far more than any other POS brewery out there. BUTTT my dad likes Steele Reserve! Last year I got him to taste a tasty IPA I brewed and he got all "ewwwghhhaakky" with it! ...So I wanna brew a Steele Reserve OR Other Malt Liquor clone/craft brew that he might like. I cant seem so find good recipes on malt liquors for some reason. Its just funny how malt liquors and IPA'S have the same abv but taste entirely different lol. So what do you say can you help mw brew my dad a tastey malt liquor steele clone or better? or even direct me to some recipes?

cheers Isaac!!
happy brewing:)

I cant seem so find good recipes on malt liquors for some reason. Its just funny how malt liquors and IPA'S have the same abv but taste entirely different lol.

The difficulty in finding many recipes is probably because this type of beer is not a popular choice for most homebrewers. A malt liquor is essentially a regular American light lager with a bumped up OG to increase the alcohol content. BTW beers having similar ABV % in no way means that they would expected to have similar flavors. Basically you can take any standard American lager recipe and add enough extra fermentables, probably in the form of sugar, to increase the OG by 20-25 points.

hmmmm i gotcha on that but the thing is no matter how many hops I add or dont add I still get an IPA style beer You know I feel like the malt liquor crap doesnt even use Hops! Even though the can sais "triple hopped for extra gravity" ? how the hell does that even make sense?! I guess Ill try an american lager/pilsner styler beer with like 2 or 3 hop pellets plus an adjunct of 3 cups or sugar?

My advice would be to find a recipe for an american light lager then ramp up the base malt to accomodate the higher gravity. Just use the hop schedule for per the recipe. Do you use any brewing software?

I would use the basic recipe from the following thread just ramp up the malt bill til it's the proper gravity.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f57/american-pilsner-26277/

7 1/2 lb 6-Row Malt
4 lb Flaked Maize
2/3 oz cluster - 60 min
1/3 oz cluster - 5 min

Hope this helps, I've made this two times and I'm very happy with it!!!

Back