Weird beer smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJerk

Reaction score
So I'm drinking the Left Hand Octoberfest, a marzen lager, and it tasts great, but has a distinct wet dog smell. I've never lagered (i live in an apt. and have no place to do this) is this a normal smell? I was just wondering because eventually when I can lager I'd like to make this style, and it'll be good to know that this type of off smell, as well as others, do not equate to "unique" flavors in beer.

could it be sulphur (usually smells like eggs) you are smelling? It is a common byproduct of some lager yeasts, although I would expect breweries to handle it carfeully. And, I did not really get a wet dog smell from it when I drank it this year.

One way to avoid this is after primary fermentation has completed, do a rest at a higher temp, to let the yeast clear up these off flavors. Then crank it down to lagering temps and keep it there for about 6 weeks.

So I'm drinking the Left Hand Octoberfest, a marzen lager, and it tasts great, but has a distinct wet dog smell. I've never lagered (i live in an apt. and have no place to do this) is this a normal smell? I was just wondering because eventually when I can lager I'd like to make this style, and it'll be good to know that this type of off smell, as well as others, do not equate to "unique" flavors in beer.

Horsey / Horse Blanket An aroma of mustiness with earthy undertones and often a hint of horse sweat. Usually a by-product of Brettanomyces yeast and is a character of some beers – notably lambic beers.

Horsey / Horse Blanket An aroma of mustiness with earthy undertones and often a hint of horse sweat. Usually a by-product of Brettanomyces yeast and is a character of some beers – notably lambic beers.

While this is true, I highly doubt Left Hand is dosing their Oktoberfest lager with Brett :)

Latest posts

Back