Week-long d-rest... Am I starting too early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3toes

Reaction score
Wrapped up fermentation on a festbier yesterday, with FG being reached at 1.016 (og of 1.057). It took 2 weeks, which isn't uncommon I know for a lager... But I achieved 80% attenuation in one week at 50ºF (1.024), so I was thinking it'd wrap up in 2-3 days with a d-rest at 60ºF. But nope, took an entire week to finish that last 20%.

Is it uncommon to have a week-long d-rest to finish out that last 20%? I keep reading about people saying it takes 2-3 days...

In my experience, 2-3 days can be woefully inadequate and can lead to horrible diacetyl developing over the next few weeks in the keg. I stick with 5 days after going through this a couple times.

BTW, dropping from 1.057 to 1.024 isn't 80% attenuation; it's only 58%. But regardless, you should be fine.

Also, your fermentation took 3 weeks, suggesting that you greatly underpitched. It should be done closer to 10-12 days. Whether or not that hurts your beer quality is another issue.

Maybe im doing the math wrong but 41 points of total attenuation to reach final gravity, and he has transitioned through 33 of those points works out to be 80% , but please enlighten me if im doing it wrong. Is there a formula im supposed to be using for this calculation?

In my experience it depends on the strain. I would normally get to 80% on a beer around 1.055 in 5-6 days and it would finish in 2-3 more. I just made an Octoberfest at 1.054 and it took almost 8 days to reach 80% and another 6 to finish. It was very fresh yeast and I made a more than adequate starter. I think I used Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager. Beer turned out great.

I do my calc the way coyotebrew does for when to do the d-rest taking 33/expected total drop. SpeedYellow took 33/57 to get 58%. You would only get to 41/57 = 72% when the beer is finished that way which is the apparent attenuation number you normally see with a yeast description.

Maybe im doing the math wrong but 41 points of total attenuation to reach final gravity, and he has transitioned through 33 of those points works out to be 80% , but please enlighten me if im doing it wrong. Is there a formula im supposed to be using for this calculation?
Ok, here's the problem: the OP used the word "attenuation" as shorthand for "% of the total drop". So yes, 1.024 is 80% of the total drop and yes that's an appropriate time to do a d-rest (but it's not "80% attenuation"). Hope I didn't confuse things by getting hung up on incorrect use of the word "attenuation."

Back