wedding brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewsClues

Reaction score
Ok so here's the deal. I need to brew a crowd pleaser for my sisters wedding. I'm thinking a wheat beer something similar to blue moons spring seasonal. Any input or recipe ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am an all grain brewer with only one ag brew under my belt and I haven't even had a chance to try that one yet.

I brewed a Cream Ale. Actually it was probably closer to a pale ale; the grist consisted of two row (88%), honey (9%) and biscuit malt (3%) and lightly bittered with cluster hops fermented with Wyeast 1056. Pretty easy to brew: 20 mins @ 133 deg., 30 min @ 153deg., mash out @ 170 deg for 10 min. One hop addition @ 60 mins. Beer specs were roughly 5.1 ABV, 7 deg. L, 31 IBU.

Ended up with a very pleasant quaffable beer that both beer snobs and light weights enjoyed. Actually intend to make it again this weekend for summer time enjoyment.

In a few months I will be brewing something awfully similar to EdWort's Haus Pale ale for my sister's wedding.

If you are looking for something like blue moon then a witte is what you going after. Check out this thread concerning blue moon. You will get the almost exact recipe for it from Wayne 1.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/blue-moon-clone-65328/

My suggestions would be:
American Pale Ale
American Amber Ale
Brown Ale, depending on when the wedding is.

I would recommend also tasting the AG you already did. If you haven't nailed it yet then keep trying. What time of year will the wedding be?

I like the cream ale suggestion. I just brewed one based off of the Speckled Heifer kit from NB, but I switched the yeast and added a flameout addition.

7.5 lbs. 2-row
0.5 lbs. carapils
0.25 lbs. flaked maize
0.25 lbs. flaked barley

0.5 oz. cluster @ 45
0.25 oz. cluster @ 15
0.25 oz. cluster @ 0

Wyeast 2112 (California Lager)

Im talking about the spring blonde wheat ale blue moon. As far as the date goes I'm not 100% I heard something about June but maybe October they are deciding. Whatever I do has to be really light but somehow have a little pizazz.

Carter1932 said:
I brewed a Cream Ale. Actually it was probably closer to a pale ale; the grist consisted of two row (88%), honey (9%) and biscuit malt (3%) and lightly bittered with cluster hops fermented with Wyeast 1056. Pretty easy to brew: 20 mins @ 133 deg., 30 min @ 153deg., mash out @ 170 deg for 10 min. One hop addition @ 60 mins. Beer specs were roughly 5.1 ABV, 7 deg. L, 31 IBU.

Ended up with a very pleasant quaffable beer that both beer snobs and light weights enjoyed. Actually intend to make it again this weekend for summer time enjoyment.

Do you have a commercial brew I could try that this one is similar to?

You can't go wrong with a good cream ale. It's very light, and can be very similar to a bmc, but it's homebrew. Should satisfy both the typical bmc drinker and beer enthusiast alike.

I stay away from anything too dark/hoppy. Most people tend to stay away from such beers, BUT, that would mean more for you, so it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Yea your right but I'm going to like anything I make cause I made it. The thing that would satisfy me the most is other people enjoying my brew! I've never tried a cream ale though.

Do you have a commercial brew I could try that this one is similar to?

Can't really think of a close commercial example. The result is a medium bodied beer with lots of malt character, thanks to honey & biscuit malt, evenly balanced with small amount of hops. Its pretty light but still loaded with flavor. The 1056 yeast also lends a pleasant bit of fruity esters to it as well.

The recipe I use is basically the same as the all grain cream ale kit sold by Northern Brewer, but I like the OG to be around 1.050 rather than the 1.040 prescribed by their kit.

After much thought I think I'm going to brew the wheat I just brewed but add a little more hops because it only has .5oz for 60min. And not add the watermelon unless of course people really like the watermelon. The recipe is:
5lbs pils.
5lbs wheat
Mash at 153.deg. for 60min.
.5oz mt. Hood 60min.
And I used s-05
Primary for a little over a week then secondary one half went on top of fresh squeezed watermelon juice and the other with .5oz of citra. That sat for about a week and its been sitting in a fridge for a couple days now...

Lol hell ya. I like that! A couple of those and you'll be cuttin some serious rug! How did those taste?

I am getting ready to brew the cream ale recipe at the top of the post. Hope it goes well, it sounds great! Good luck with the wedding beer.

Latest posts

Back