Weber Smokey Mountain Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocDriza

Reaction score
Is anyone else having trouble getting their WSM to go above 250F?

When I have done pork butt, ribs or chicken, I've had all vents open and it would not go above 250.

Does that sealing stuff really work to help with keeping in heat?

Enough coal? What kind? Lump seems to do a better job for me. Maybe a hit from the bellows every now and again when you see the temp dropping.

When I have done pork butt, ribs or chicken, I've had all vents open and it would not go above 250.

Yes, the SS door from CajunBandit does seal much better. The top rim will begin to seal a little better each time you use it.

You might try running it without water. That is how I run mine now. If you're going to use water, give it like an hour or two to get up to temp before you start your smoke.

Temp issue is probably that you're being too stingy with your coals. I was using the minion method without enough coals (2 wide on bottom, and 1 wide on top, with all vents open) and could only get to like 210 or so...had to make it up with extra time. Since I switched to using WAY more coals in my minion (like, I dont' even count anymore) I have no issue.

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Not sealing shouldn't be an issue. If you have air leaks you would likely have trouble keeping the temp down, allowing more air in fuels the fire. Are you using water in the pan? If so, try without water. I cook chicken in mine with no water and all vents wide open, and usually hit 350-375º with no problem.

Check out This place, tons of WSM info.https://tvwbb.com/

When I go high and hot instead of low and slow I use a metal kabob skewer laying across the top of the smoker body.. It props the lid open just a little bit on one side and it makes all the difference getting the heat up

When I go high and hot instead of low and slow I use a metal kabob skewer laying across the top of the smoker body.. It props the lid open just a little bit on one side and it makes all the difference getting the heat up

+1. I also don't put water in the pan for high heat and use a full chimney of lit to start.

yup, the water is what makes the WSM so easy to control temps for low and slow. Remember, the evaporation cools the smoker. Run dry the WSM has get scorching hot. I run mine dry and the bottom vents are nearly open.

If you go dry, there are several options. I hate the sand because eventually it will harden like a brick. I just line the water pan with foil and the add some crumpled foil to limit any fat from burning. Brisket and pork are going to get water, since there is just too much fat to avoid burnt fat, plus the really think they cook better with a humid smoke.

Spatchcock chicken in a WSM with a dry pan is bliss.

Is anyone else having trouble getting their WSM to go above 250F? When I have done pork butt, ribs or chicken, I've had all vents open and it would not go above 250. Does that sealing stuff really work to help with keeping in heat?

Are you talking about a gasket kit? Sure, they work about 99% of the time. I have one. I also use an Automatic Temperature Controller (DIGIQ DX2).

One thing you didn't mention was the weather. If it's windy or wet you will have issues.

If that is the case then try building a small (4' high) wall around it to keep the wind off. There are plenty of smokehouse designs on line and other ideas here: http://virtualweberbullet.com/. Another source is https://tvwbb.com/forum.php.

I smoke under a 2nd story deck and hang a welding blanket from the rafters and wrap it around the smoker.

make sure that the temp gauge on the lid is accurate. mine is off by about 15 degrees from my digital probes. the biggest culprit is the flimsy door. make sure you not losing any heat from it.

Back