We no need no stinking beer gun...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it cost me like $3 to get what i needed to build this, and maybe 15 min to bottle a 12 pack. AMAZING METHOD!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. beninan, nice quote

I bought/built this rig last night. It worked incredibly well. Surprisingly, none of the guys at my LHBS heard of it. I bottled up a case of BM's Blonde Ale. Being able to distribute beers to "non homebrewers" just became infinitely easier because I don't need to give them pouring instructions.

If 50+ threads weren't enough to verify that this works well, I just built one and am very happy with the results. Cost me $0.99 for the stopper at Rebel Brewer.

You will discover this for yourself, but I will say it anyhow: When you are filling, you can kind of "ride" the stopper with your thumb. There is a constant pressure pushing against the stopper as you fill, you just release it every time the beer stops. I am hoping this will be a way for me to add my kegged beers to my vintage box...

Instead of using the #2 stopper, I did what someone else posted elsewhere. I used a carboy bung, and put it upside down on the bottle. Its easy to keep pressure on it down and let it come up easy. The other person put a small hole in theirs to burp the air, but I run mine at about 5psi, so it barely trickles out once I get about half full. Found I really dont need the hole, but its an option depending on your setup. Works better than a stopper of you ask me.

Instead of using the #2 stopper, I did what someone else posted elsewhere. I used a carboy bung, and put it upside down on the bottle. Its easy to keep pressure on it down and let it come up easy. The other person put a small hole in theirs to burp the air, but I run mine at about 5psi, so it barely trickles out once I get about half full. Found I really dont need the hole, but its an option depending on your setup. Works better than a stopper of you ask me.

You mind posting a picture?

I just got back from LHBS and acquired the parts needed for my own BMBG.

anyone see a problem using the bottling wand instead of a racking cane?

its just what I had from a "KIT" and it fit the bill

-=Jason=-

IMG_20110211_142159.jpg

Flomaster said:

-=Jason=-

Absolutely. That's what I use.

the LHBS said I need to come back and bring him a bottle of my Hefe...I told him thats why I was purchasing the parts to i COULD bottle from the keg. he tried selling me his $70 beer gun but I politely declined and showed him what I was up to.

-=Jason=-

Flomaster said:

-=Jason=-

That's what I use as well.

just wondering, how do you guys store your "beer gun". i havent used mine in about 3 months, but after i bottled beer through it, i ran hot water through it, then ran sanitizer through it and left the tubing filled with the sanitizing solution. its also stored in my kegerator. whats the best way to store this and keep it clean?

Anyone see a problem using the bottling wand instead of a racking cane?

I like the bottling wand better because you can keep the tap open between bottles.

Today for the first time I used a bottling wand instead of a racking cane and it worked flawlessly. It was spring loaded so I removed the spring from the tip to avoid any flow disruption and breakout of CO2, increased to 6ft. of 3/16 beer line, chilled my bottles, purged my keg of CO2, set my regulator at 2psi, and it flowed like a champ. Then used my new bench capper (I love this thing) to finish them off. I'm gonna bottle another 12 pack tomorrow.

Jason, IMO I'd remove the picnic tap and just attach the hose to the end of the bottling wand.

Trace

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

If you remove the spring from the tip of the bottling wand AND connect it directly to the bev out, how do you stop the beer from flowing out of the keg?...

The Picnic Tap is for controlling the beer flow...

or am I missing something?

Whats the best way to store this and keep it clean?

I rinse mine with PBW or Oxyclean Free, rinse with water, and hang it in my beer closet till the next time. Then when I'm ready to use again just run some StarSan through it and I'm good to go. This is what I did previously when I was using the racking cane and have never had any issues.

Trace

If you remove the spring from the tip of the bottling wand AND connect it directly to the bev out, how do you stop the beer from flowing out of the keg?...

The Picnic Tap is for controlling the beer flow...

or am I missing something?

The pressure from the applied CO2 will force the tip of the bottling wand out and prevent beer from flowing. To quote BM, "trust me".

I'm using this setup to bottle champagne, I have a lot of foaming issues and loss of carbonation, Champagne is CO2 pressurized to 28psi at 34 degrees, I am running 6 feet of 3/16" hose, does anyone thing a longer hose would help that much, I'm only loosing 2 bottles per 5 gallon batch and just drink it as wine anyway, but would like to keep more fizz in my finished product.

I rinse mine with PBW or Oxyclean Free, rinse with water, and hang it in my beer closet till the next time. Then when I'm ready to use again just run some StarSan through it and I'm good to go. This is what I did previously when I was using the racking cane and have never had any issues.

Trace

do you take apart each time? it was quite difficult for me to put together, figured it would be even harder to take part. All the parts fit very snug.

do you take apart each time? it was quite difficult for me to put together, figured it would be even harder to take part. All the parts fit very snug.

If you can, get one of these if you don't have one. Then you can just unscrew the quick connect each time to clean the line out with just water from the tap.

21H9Fzbx7TL._SS400_.jpg

Here's the link to buy a setup, sorry not a local vendor, fastest I could find at work. You can search for it at your favorite online retailer! :D
http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Style-Quick-Disconnect-Liquid/dp/B000EQPYJM

Last edited by a moderator:

I attach my hose to the Perlick with this that I learned about from HBT member nostalgia. I then just unscrew, clean, and wait till next time.

Trace

Don't remember the model number that I have but the spout can be removed and that's what I screw the piece in to. They look the same as what's in this video by nostalgia.

Trace

Last edited by a moderator:
ZOMG.... I need those perlicks. way easier than propping my keezer lid open and hooking up a different tubing and what not.

-=Jason=-

I am just trying to save myself hours of reading this post.....I found the instructions on the first couple of pages of this post, are those still the best practices for doing this, or through trial and error have any of you found that there were improvements to the first instructions? Thanks!

First off, welcome to the obsession. Now then, the first few posts/pages will get you where you want to be. I don't blame you for not wanting to read all 594 posts but tell us about your kegging setup - you'll get the more specific assistance to your system as to what may or may not work.

One of my brew buddies owns a machine shop. I wonder how difficult it would be to turn out one of those faucet adapters?

so i bottled some beer for a competition tonight using this gun. i noticed some air bubble getting in to the beer at the point where the plastic racking tubing meets the picnic tap. it feels pretty snug, any suggestions?

so i bottled some beer for a competition tonight using this gun. i noticed some air bubble getting in to the beer at the point where the plastic racking tubing meets the picnic tap. it feels pretty snug, any suggestions?

Did you try a zip tie?

Back