We brew in Iowa too!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drinkabeergle

Reaction score
Hello!

My name is Dan, and I have been brewing for the past year. I got into it from friends and others in my city, and have brewed a couple crazy beers that turned out ok (I have some tweaking to do) and a couple 'normal' beers that were good.

I am currently working on a recipe for a Cherry Wit because where I'm from we have two football seasons (Spring and Fall) and I wanted to get a jump-start on my first tailgating brew!

Tailgating brew sounds great! Sure beats Miller Lite or Bud Light. Welcome to HBT.

I'm in Des Moines, originally from Dubuqe, the girlfriend is from CR, and we go to Iowa City a lot for Hawkeye Basketball/Football...

So all over I would say!

Nice to hear from a fellow Iowan, I keep hearing about all the people that home brew in this area, but not much luck finding them. Must be a quiet lot.

I like to go to the BeerCrazy shop. It located in urbandale, Ia off of 100th. The guy that owns it rock's. I buy all my brew supplies from him. He's the one that got me started in brewing.

I was in Beercrazy a couple months ago. Nice store. Had a lot of brew supplies and good prices. Pretty close to online prices. You are lucky to be close enough to shop there.

Getting to be a lot of Iowans here. Cool!

Welcome

Heading to IA City this Sat to keep my beer tour card active at Old Chicago and of course gotta stop by Old Capitol Brewery and Dirty John's. Is there a brew shop around IA City?

The only place that I have been getting supplies is the liqour store by the Coralville Hy-Vee. They have a pretty good selection and the guy that supplies them is from Ottmwa, and he is up hear every week. I need to get into Old Capitol Brewery, i havent been in there for along time. Do you come into town for the Old Chicago Brewfest? I had a blast last year! Alot of good beer to drink and pretty cheap to do it.

Im brewing Mead here in davenport, Iowa. If your interestd come over and join my Mead Makers Anonymous group!

I'm new to this brewing thing, so I better get a few batches under my belt before doing the mead thing. Sounds tasty though.

Out of all the things you can brew...Id wager that mead is the cheapest...and easiest to get started with!

:mug:

Beer Crazy is definitely a great place to go and Mike seems to be a really good guy...

Otherwise Heartland Homebrew Supply is around in Valley Junction, but the customer service there isn't the greatest, which is what really puts Beer Crazy at the top of the list.

If you're ever down here on a Thursday night, come stop by Jimmy Carter Happy Hour at El Bait Shop!

Free beer from local homebrewers is always nice.

ALSO!

If you're ever in Dubuque, you can stop by the Bluff Street Brew Haus on (duh) Bluff St, or cross over into East Dubuque to stop by Van's Liquor for kits and other stuff.

The guy at Bluff Street actually puts together his own kits or will put one together for you if you call with an idea, which I think more homebrew shops should consider.

Nice store! The guy that owns it is really nice and helpful. We also ate lunch at a brew pub on main st. It used to be the Cooper Wagon Factory, nice brews on hand. There is also a new brewery up in McGreggor that is really, really nice. They offer a sampler to try all of there beers.

Back