Wb-06

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awall

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm very new to brewing and craft beer in general, but thought I would share my experience with wb-06, becaue there is quite a lot of conflicting information about this yeast and this may give brewers new and old another perspective.

I recently brewed a dunkelweizen with a Coopers wheat kit can and a 1.5kg can of Morgan's caramalt LME. 1.044 OG, 1.012 FG. I pitched a single pack of wb-06 at 26C and with a lack of temp control it fermented around 22C.

It's still early days but here I am drinking a Chimay red atm, and can tell I've ended up with something very similar to this rather than a german wheat style beer. I'm not the best at describing beer but it has an aroma of ripe banana and an almost peppery taste which I've read is described as a clove flavour. The Chimay is a nicer beer, which I would put down to better mouthfeel and a nice all-around smoothness.

I guess the whole point is to let everyone know even at relatively high fermentation temps it has ended up Belgian rather than German if that makes any sense at all. In saying that, I have heard reports that fermenting above 23C will give you a very german style beer.

If anyone has any experience with this yeast please post up your story as I would love to brew a traditional style hefeweizen and find the convenience of dry yeast a big help at this point in my brewing career :)

Cheers!

I've used it once, I didn't have temperature control at the time and it fermented in the low 70's. It was a banana bomb! Luckily, the banana subsided after a few weeks of bottle conditioning. If you use it, I would recommend keeping the temperature in the low to mid 60's (15-18° C).

Back