Wb-06

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed a dunkelweizen with 3068 at the same time a friend of mine brewed a weizen with WB-06. Ultimately I thought 3068 had more of that "German wheat yeast" flavor and intensity, but I thought the dried was comparable. If someone's not ready to manage liquid yeasts but wants to try a German weizen, the dry is a fine substitute.

Just chiming in, I'm not a fan of the WB-06. It would seem that you either love or hate it, just my $0.02.

I got a medicinal/phenolic taste from the batch I fermented with it. Almost exactly like the aftertaste I get with Troeg Bros. Dreamweaver Wheat. Like I said, not a fan.

I use it quite often. Its not nearly as good as a liquid yeast variety, but it gives more character to a wheat beer than a neutral dry yeast like US-05 or Nottingham. 60/40 wheat/pils and some WB-06 makes a nice easy drinking beer than even my BMC friends enjoy. I wouldn't use it for a beer I was going to enter into a competition, but it certainly does the job.

I've tasted some professional hefeweizens made with it that were actually pretty good. The brewer said temp control is very important. He fermented his between 68 and 70 F. Not sure if homebrewed WB-06 would perform the same way in that range though, or if there was something else in his process that helped it.

I may try it warmer later on but not anytime real soon. Maybe I'll split a 5gal batch and ferment both at different temps.

A friend used it for a weizen and it was quite good. I used it and found it produced a tart beer.

i used it two times, both in hefeweizens.

the first one... well, i dont remember much (a long time ago). what a DO remember is having a refreshing but flavorfull beer.
the second one i made last month and I'm drinking it now (hooray!). I fermented in room temperature (summer in the southern hemisphere - so, over 77F). It has A LOT of isoamile acetate (banana - quite expected), and clove. the clove is subtle in the aroma and quite present in the flavor. other than that... yes, its tart. before i started reading this, i thought it was 'cause of the water i used (5,5 pH).

bur guess what? this sourness is actually quite good =)

Back