Belgian Whit Yeast Recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDRJ

Reaction score
I am looking to brew up a Belgian Whit in the next day or so and my current yeast selection is so so.

I have WB-06 (came with the kit I got) and Munich Classic.

Looking to create more of a Hoegarden or ShockTop style/flavor and I think my current yeast choices are not the ones to use.

Thoughts?

Given those choices, I'd use the WB-06. Munich classic is a german hefe strain, not at all a Belgian Wit strain. Also, WB-06 isn't really like the true belgian witbier strains, but will get you closer, IMO.

Personally, I'd use Wyeast 3944 or White Labs WLP400.

If you're focusing on dry, there's Lallemand Wit. I've only made one beer with it so far, but it came out well.
I use Lalbrew Wit all the time, and it's good. It is not as characterful as the liquid wit strains, but it makes a good, solid wit.

Aside from the yeast, an essential part of a Witbier is using at least 50% wheat in the grist. Raw (flaked) wheat preferred, but you could use wheat malt or a mix of the 2. And probably add some rice hulls when going with a larger % of flaked wheat.

To reduce gumminess and lautering issues using raw (flaked) wheat, you could incorporate a combined beta-glucanase/protein rest at 121F for 15 minutes, but not longer.

When using wheat malt, make sure it's well crushed (narrower gap) as wheat kernels are quite a bit smaller than barley.

Back