Way, way, way over the top Sam Adams Utopia clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i asked how they attained 26% or 27% and was told it was done by aging for ten years. i don't know how that could get the yeast to surpass its tolerance. i think if it didn't go high enough, you could finish with distiller's yeast after whatever initial yeast had contributed its flavors and expired, but i think those only go to 22 or so in theoretical perfect conditions.
looking forward to see how this project plays out.

Perhaps they do it like an Eisbock? After its done fermenting out they freeze it and pull some water out. That would raise the gravity punch up the flavor and ABV.

That's a really good idea (kind of bummed I didn't think of it). I would think that way wouldn't dry out the end result as much as a really high-finishing yeast would either??

BRILLIANT!

FYI I have marinated the pork roast this morning. I'll keep flipping it and rubbing it down twice a day till it hits the oven.. I used garlic, cilantro, onions, white pepper, salt, sofrito, adobo and olive oil. I made holes in it and pushed in whole garlic and the rub.

Should be yummy.

Sumo,
We're not talking an warm apple pie sort of thing here, right? You DID use a double gloved finger?

Not for nuttin' but I really like the expression. "Marinated the pork roast."

And "Flipping it and rubbing it down twice a day" sounds like it came straight from the pages of Larry Flint's Madame X's Cookbook.

Hey Paul, I'm in. I'm gonna bring my friend Brian that you met last year at your house. He's gonna bring some Steak tips..I'm going to brew one of my house beers. Either a nice easy Kolsch or BierMunchers Helles Belles..Maybe both..:drunk:

Sumo, I'll bring that case of flip top bottles...

Hey Paul, Does Chris have a garage? There's gonna be some snow Saturday. I was thinking on bringing one of those pop up tents. Can you also email me or call with his address.

Hehe... I'm getting more and more excited for this weekend... Aside from Beer and BBQ Sauce, what else can I bring Paul? Also, what time are you guys gonna get started?

OK, Chris DOES have a two car garage, that's why we are doing it at his house, so we will be out of the weather. It sounds like we're looking at a few inches of snow that day, no big deal, this is New England, not south Florida. Speaking of south Florida, have fun there this weekend, Big John and Melana, we'll miss you.

I'll be getting to Chris's around 9ish, and I'd expect that the first hour or so we'll be drinking coffee, setting up, heating water, etc. Come whenever you like and leave whenever you need to.

As far as what to bring, bring what ever you like. We didn't envision this day to be a BBQ but it seems to be morphing into that. CB and I will have a few racks of ribs, Albert's bringing his "Porked Roast Special," if someone wants to bring something sweet, or some salad that would certainly find a spot on the table. Don't be shy, bring whatever you like. We'll have a gas grill and a small Brinkman Bullet BBQ.

And of course, since this is a gathering of homebrewers after all, bring along a few bottles of something you made to share with the group.

If you don't have directions or my phone number PM me. (Brian, I know you don't, I'll get it to you later on tonight.)

Hey someone should bring a laptop so we can upload pics as we go for those poor unfortunates who can't make it. (I'm assuming Chris has wireless, he's a computer geek by trade.)

OK, back to work.

PTN

I'll gladly bring my laptop and my camera. I'll see what I can do about bringing some sort of food aside from the BBQ sauce. I'll plan to get there between 9 and 10.

One thing that we are going to do that should be interesting is do a direct side by side comparison of a fly sparge vs a batch sparge. Given the shear volume of grain involved here we're going to be mashing in two of my keggles. They are both set up pretty much identically, only difference being that the dedicated mash tun has a welded in thermometer that the brew kettle doesn't have. They both have a SS screen on the bottom. I'm going to put half of each type of grain into each mash tun so that they have an equal amount of fermentables. Then we'll see what the difference is when we are done. I think we all know what the difference will be but it should still be interesting to do a side by side experiment.

PTN

I would like to take this opportunity to kindly ask all of you to refrain from making fun of what will be some incredibly pale skin, slow moving and great hestitance to have a beer come tomorrow morning.

We got a call from great friends who we haven't seen in a long time and they are now coming to see us this evening with full intention of seeing the sunrise from the bah' down in the basement.

This will be on top of my "beer appreciation" lunch that I'll be having with Kris (the Worts Pres) today downtown at Kinsale who has a number of big beers on rotation.

I'm starting to drink water NOW. My liver is kicking me saying, "NOOOO!!! DON'T DO IT!!! HAVE MERCY ON ME!!!!"

I WILL be there tomorrow. I WILL have ribs with me and I WILL have some beers with me. I might just be a little slow and not in a huuuuuge hurry to crack any open for myself.

haha... You are going to lunch with Kris? she is my Pres!

I know Kris really well. We have lunch all the time. She just got back from Vail (I'm pretty jealous since I was changing diapers while she was skiing... the jerk).

Scroll down to Post #16... that's my cookout this past summer and the blueish hat is MaryAnn of "Fred and MaryAnne". Like I was saying before, we share a lot of members.... Wade, Kris, Fred & MaryAnne, Mark Irwin, Kevin Ferrell... I think there are a couple others.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/how-roast-whole-pig-74299/index2.html

Hi Guys
This is Chris, the one holding the session tomorrow. Looking forward to the brew!!!

Chris

By the way, The Barley Wine Starter... Yes Barley wine starter.... Was still burping along Wednesday. I just put it in the garage last night to start a cold dropout. We will transferit Saturday into another carboy and I will keep that one warm and maybe get some more action out of it. SO the yeasties are ready for more.

That's a pretty good first post!

"I'm the guy who's hosting all of you knuckleheads for the monster Utopia clone brew we're going to try to pull off".

You got me beat... I think mine was something goofy like ,"Hi... I brew beer"

See you in the morning!
Brian (figured I could toss out the actual name)

PS... lunch with Kris was a huge success... the Sam Adams Chocolate Bock, for those who haven't tried it... damn good on tap. And then I went with CBC's Big Man Late Harvest IPA... also damn tasty.

Uggg... things gonna get messy 'round here tonight I thinks.

Also here is the latest recipe we are following tomorrow:
Utopias Clone
23-A Specialty Beer
Author: PTN and Yeager1977

Size: 10 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 816.83 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.234 (1.026 - 1.120)
|================================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.059 (0.995 - 1.035)
Color: 21.82 (1.0 - 50.0)
|==============#=================|
Alcohol: 24.71% (2.5% - 14.5%)
Bitterness: 43.4 (0.0 - 100.0)
|==============#=================|

Ingredients:
60.0 lb English 2-row Pale
15 lb 6-Row Brewers Malt
3 lb 2-Row Caramel Malt 60L
3 lb Toasted Pale Malt
1 lb Melanoidin Malt
4 lb Munich 10L Malt
1 lb German Smoked
1.8 lb Maple Syrup
2 oz Spalt Spalter (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
2 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
2 oz Hallertau (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
2 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min
4.0 ea White Labs WLP099 Super High Gravity Ale

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.2

So guy's, I have something that I'm a little ( a lot) uncomfortable bringing up but will anyways. Chris and I pitched in and scored a bottle of 2005 Utopia. We are more than willing to offer it up for anyone who want to try some of the parent clone tomorrow.

Here comes the really uncomfortable 'BUT' part.

We're perfectly willing to let anyone who wants to partake do so, but we really aren't crazy about the idea of footing the bill to give that beer away. We spent $250 for the 22 oz bottle. If anyone coming wants to join us in sampling the Utopia we will be cracking the seal at noon tomorrow.

Like I said, this is awkward and I wish I could just foot the bill as the co-host, but the fact is I'd rather not give away that money two weeks after Chrismas. One way or another the bottle is getting drained tomorrow. If you want to join us you are welcome.

PTN

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I seeeee how it is!! Now that we're mearly a day away the ole' "hey guys, we kinda pitched in for this beer" post comes rolling out.

If I had known it was going to be THAT kind of day!!

(100% totally being an ahole and busting your chops... blame the beer lunch)

I've had Utopia a bunch of times and I'll leave all 22 ounces to you guys. Besides, given the lunch and night I have planned, not sure 26% ABV ANYTHING would work for me in the morning. :tank:

Ps.. i'm so winning the rib competition!!! :p

Latest posts

Back