Way over my head!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjackson82

Reaction score
First, I brewed an american cream ale weekend before last. All seemed to go ok other that my siphon stopping up durnig transfer to primary and the only funnel in the house was way to small. I used a kit and rehydrated my yeast according to John Palmer's method. It was bubbling within 5 hours of pitching and 9 days later i still have about 6 to 7 bubbles per minute. This past weekend I brewed a witbier kit. I had no idea it would need mashing to be perfomed! Oh well, I took on the challenge. Holy Skit! I started heating my water to the directed 155. As it started to get close to the 155 i poured my grains into the bag (which seemed way to small for all those grains). Then as my water hit 155 it suddenly showed 170! So i went ahead and dumped the bag in the water and added some cooling water. I added too much and the temp dropped to 130. So this temp rising and dropping went on for about 30 minutes of the 45 minute soak. How severe will these temp fluctuations (majority was 165 top end and 140 bottom end)effect my beer? Also, i pitched rehydrated yeast just like my first beer and airlock went crazy within 5 hours again but 2 days later my airlock is bubbling just as slow as my first batch already! Why would that be?

I'm no expert on temp. fluctuations. But, I can tell you too hot extracts tannins which can make your beer taste a bit off. If you kept it lower (150 seems to be agreed upon as the ideal although some steep between 135 and 145) then you're likely okay. Also, seeing as your using grain, its likely you have a lot of unfermentable sugars in this brew and it may have finished a majority of its fermentation already. Have you checked the SG? Are you nearing its FG??? I've had plenty of brews finish primary fermentation after 2 days or so and then I flipped them into secondary (Yes, I do secondary. I'm not advocating, I'm just saying) and they've all turned out fine.

So, far, I'm not getting any real panic signals from what you've described. Just relax, it all wants to be beer. So, just let it ferment!

V

So, far, I'm not getting any real panic signals from what you've described. Just relax, it all wants to be beer. So, just let it ferment!

V[/QUOTE]

+1

What kind of flavor will extracted tannins introduce? I'm bothered because while trying to maintain the temp i would move it on and off the electric stove, sometimes it would sound like it would start boiling (although i couldn't see it) but the temp would not show but 140 or 150. My electric thermometer was the problem with jumping all around. I am now trying to figure out if i should install a thermowell and thermometer in the side of my brew kettle or find some other alternative. Any suggestions?

You won't get any tannins under 170F. There are even debates on whether you extract tannins above 170F.

A good thermometer is really key. Many of the electric ones jump around when they don't have a good connection (wet) between the cable and the sensor. I always use 2 thermometers, a digital and a mechanical, so I can tell when my digital has gone wacky. Test them in freezing water and boiling water to check their accuracy.

Edit: I started off with just the digital, which I love because I can set alarms and don't have to watch the pot so closely. However my first partial mash (which is much more temperature sensitive than the steeping required by your kit) I ran into the same problem that you just had. My thermometer was bouncing all over the place and I kept heating and cooling when it was probably right to start with. I picked up a floating thermometer after that. Oddly, my digital has been much better behaved since then too - almost like it knows that it can't get away with goofing off now...

Don't sweat it. You made beer and as long as you followed basic sanitation practices and keep your fermentation temps down it will turn out great.

Brewing is a simple process that many when new to the hobby tend over think.I know I certainly did. Relax and just roll with it. This is a hobby that can be as simple or complex as you want it to be or make it.

This was a partial mash -- mostly extract, with just a couple pounds of grain -- right? The beauty of this type of kit is that those grains are there more for the flavor than anything else, and as long as you're somewhere within ten or fifteen degrees of 155, they'll do their job, while your extract picks up the slack on the fermentables.

Your beer is fine, and, you're well on your way to learning what a pain it is to keep several gallons of oatmeal within a couple-degree temperature range. Google up some mash temperature calculators, do another three or four partial-mash recipes, and you'll be a natural at this -- and, ready for an all-grain batch!

Oh, yeah, and bleme is right about the thermometer -- get a good one.

I have a floating dairy thermometer, which is very accurate, but slooooow, and an analog dial thermometer, which is fast, and can be calibrated against the floating thermometer.

Oh, yeah, and bleme is right about the thermometer -- get a good one.

I have a floating dairy thermometer, which is very accurate, but slooooow, and an analog dial thermometer, which is fast, and can be calibrated against the floating thermometer.

+1 on getting a good thermometer. When doing AG, I use 3 (for different things).

Don't fret about that partial-mash batch. It will probably turn out fine. Next time, it will go more smoothly. It's all part of the learning process. :D

Any recommendations on thermometers? And how do you maintain temps for your grains? The directions said 1 gallon of water for every 2 pounds of grain, it seems that you would be able to maintain temp easier with more water. Is there a reason to limit your water when doing the grains?

Im guessing youre doing the brewers best kits, sounds like it to me anyways from what I have seen and read in your post? The Cream Ale kit doesnt have any grains in it at all and the Witbier has some but its kind of a technicality thing. I think there a couple of grains in it that need a mash but its still more like a steep than anything else. So after all that, I dont see any problem with what you have done really. Not with it being more of steeping grain style anyways. Temperature is important but becomes more so when all your sugar extraction is relying on how well you do. With steeping grains and extracts, not as big a deal. Youre looking in the green to me.

As for thermometers.....I recommend and like getting a good digital thermometer with a probe you can drop in to the water or mash and monitor it from the counter top. Wal-Mart or any variety store and most grocery stores carry them. Thats all you really need, nothing too fancy. Just make sure it reliable and what not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I would get a lab grade spirit filled thermometer (not mercury). They are accurate and super cheap, like $5. You should calibrate any other thermometer you buy to this one. They are basically the ones you used in chemistry class in high school. You can find one here at Morebeer - Glass Thermometer as an example but your local labs should have them.

Yes, our local store carries brewer's best. As for the calibrated/traceable thermometer, I deal with these at work daily. The calibration is only valid for one year and as far as accuracy they are "checked" but that doesn't mean that they are still dead on when you get them. We have to buy traceable mercury in glass thermometers at work and test them on a calibrated oil bath. I can't tell you how many times we have recieved "calibrated" thermometers and found after shipping and handling they are no longer in "calibration." Another point, when these companies sell two identical thermometers with one being traceable and the other not they tend to fix the bugs that lead to less accuracy in both units. So I wouldn't be so inclined to spend the extra money on the one year certificate.

I have two digital but they seemed to jump around way too fast. My kit came with a spirit filled like recommended but it takes some effort to read the temp, spinning it around trying to find the best angle to see the line just right. I've been debating on installing a thermowell and thermometer in the brew kettle. The only issue is i have typically read about people doing it to larger pots, not my small 5 gallon pot. So i was looking for a good digital someone uses and an analog with dial gauge that someone has also had good luck with?

Insert sarcastic comment about thermometer calibration here.....I hate trying to convey my sarcasm through text words....

Please don't think I'm telling anyone not to buy a calibrated one. I just wanted to inform everyone with our experience with them and I can't determine whether its worth it to someone else or not.

I just want a couple that other people have had good luck with and are a little easier to read than the standard stick seeing as I'm a new brewer and haven't found my rhythm to allow me to relax while brewing yet. I have tendency to run around like a chicken with its head cut off while brewing!

Back