Waxing the bottle for preservation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricand

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know how Three Floyds keeps their wax drippings attached to the bottle? I tried to do it with a Dark Lord clone (Morgoth the Destroyer) and the drippings all popped off the glass and flared out. It's not awful, and they are surprisingly resilient to breaking. I'd still rather have them attached.

MorgothBottle.jpg

I don't know where I heard it, but someone uses glue mixed in with the wax. It makes it a little more sticky and last a little longer after it hardens.

In summation of the link provided by Revvy, 20 glue sticks plus 12 crayons in a can on the stove. Melt, stir, dip. I just did this for a batch of mead I'm giving away for xmas and they turned out great. I got lots of drips on the neck and they all stayed attached. Double dipped ones looked even better!

Thanks Revvy for the link. I'm using standard issue wine bottle wax for $8.95 a pound. Maybe I'll toss in a hot glue stick to see if that will work. This wax comes right off without any issues and no need to embed dental floss. I like the consistency. I was hoping somebody would come back with.. 'ohh yeah you gotta wipe the bottle with lighter fluid' and fix my problem.

Properly cleaing the outside of the bottle will defineatly help. I would try mineral spirits if you have it, or rubbing alcohol, some kint of solvent that does not leave a residue.

Back