Waves of grain American amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliethebum

Reaction score
Just looking for some feedback. First time crafting an amber recipe

Batch size: 10.5 gal

Efficiency: 80%

OG: 1.055

FG: 1.014

ABV: 5.4%

SRM: 14

IBU: 29

GRAIN BILL

12lb US 2 row

5lb Munich 10

1lb c80

1lb c40

1lb victory

4oz chocolate 350

Mash 154f 60min

HOP SCHEDULE

1 oz cascade(6.5%aa) FWH 60min

1 oz cascade 30 min

2 oz cascade 10 min

Ferment with us05 66f

Looks good, looks a lot like my Amber that is on tap now except for all the Munich. 5.5 gallon batch I have:
13 lbs Two Row
0.47 lbs C40
0.47 lbs C90
0.47 lbs Victory
0.17 lbs Chocolate
0.13 lbs Caramunich I
.50 oz Columbus 60 min
.50 oz Cascade 10 min
.50 oz Centennial 10 min
.66 oz Cascade post boil whirlpool 10 min at 170
.66 oz Centennial post boil whirlpool 10 mins at 170
WLP001 Cal Ale at 66.
1.063 OG 6.3%

I wanted less upfront bitterness and more aroma, hence the late additions. It came out good, lots of caramel in flavor, mild bitterness and a great aroma. A tad darker than I wanted, but it will do.

Looks good, looks a lot like my Amber that is on tap now except for all the Munich. 5.5 gallon batch I have:
13 lbs Two Row
0.47 lbs C40
0.47 lbs C90
0.47 lbs Victory
0.17 lbs Chocolate
0.13 lbs Caramunich I
.50 oz Columbus 60 min
.50 oz Cascade 10 min
.50 oz Centennial 10 min
.66 oz Cascade post boil whirlpool 10 min at 170
.66 oz Centennial post boil whirlpool 10 mins at 170
WLP001 Cal Ale at 66.
1.063 OG 6.3%

I wanted less upfront bitterness and more aroma, hence the late additions. It came out good, lots of caramel in flavor, mild bitterness and a great aroma. A tad darker than I wanted, but it will do.
Usually I'd go for a hop schedule closer to yours but I'm tinkering with this recipe on request from my mom whose favorite beer is fat tire. How do the hops shine through in your recipe? Looks delicious to me

Hops came through great. Mild bitterness in taste, but great citrus, spice and a hint of pine aroma. Overall very balanced beer. BeerSmith says 36 IBU's, so not crazy compared to Fat Tire's 22, just a tad more bitter.

I am new to all grain BIAB. I brew an Amber and an IPA using similar base malts (2-row 90,Munich 10, c-40 10), as this is kinda where my beer tastes lie (reds, ambers, IPA), and I can do either style with a simple variance in the hops scheduled

In the IPA been using maybe Columbus to bitter, then all of citra simco and cascade, mostly late, then dry hop. My Amber lager is basic in that there is no dry hop, and I use cascade and Columbus to bitter for 60. I thought I used a lot of hops in my IPA, but I do notice my IPA 'tang' (only way to describe it) drops off the longer it is bottled. That normal? I'll have to check another bottle. It's a great summer beer.

Am I also to conclude that IPA is all about hops? Would appear they are critical, if not the main difference between styles.

My Amber was a decent clone of a beer I quite like. Reading on here how I might improve my Amber by using both a light and some dark crystal. The OPs recipe does, as an example, though his Munich is higher % than my recipe. Anyone got any theories, or anecdotal evidence. Suggestions.

I am new to all grain BIAB. I brew an Amber and an IPA using similar base malts (2-row 90,Munich 10, c-40 10), as this is kinda where my beer tastes lie (reds, ambers, IPA), and I can do either style with a simple variance in the hops scheduled

In the IPA been using maybe Columbus to bitter, then all of citra simco and cascade, mostly late, then dry hop. My Amber lager is basic in that there is no dry hop, and I use cascade and Columbus to bitter for 60. I thought I used a lot of hops in my IPA, but I do notice my IPA 'tang' (only way to describe it) drops off the longer it is bottled. That normal? I'll have to check another bottle. It's a great summer beer.

Am I also to conclude that IPA is all about hops? Would appear they are critical, if not the main difference between styles.

My Amber was a decent clone of a beer I quite like. Reading on here how I might improve my Amber by using both a light and some dark crystal. The OPs recipe does, as an example, though his Munich is higher % than my recipe. Anyone got any theories, or anecdotal evidence. Suggestions.

IPAs (India Pale Ales) are ALL ABOUT HOPS. They (American IPAs, at least) usually use a simple grain bill, maybe 80% 2-row, 10% Vienna, 5% c20 5% c40 and a very clean yeast strain. The entire focus of an IPA is the hops, many recipes using upwards of a full pound for a 5 gallon batch. IPAs (hops, really) are VERY Oxygen sensitive and are intended to be consumed fresh, which is why the hop flavors/aromas decrease significantly by the time your bottles are carbed.

This post has be thinking though, Fall is right around the corner and I need to get my Caramel Amber going ASAP! Cheers!

Consider adding darker crystal malts only for the flavors that they provide. Make color adjustments using (debittered) black malt or chocolate malt.

Look at clone recipes for Shells FireBrick or Abita Amber. Another 'classic' recipe would be "West Cost Blaster" in Brewing Classic Styles.

Consider adding darker crystal malts only for the flavors that they provide. Make color adjustments using (debittered) black malt or chocolate malt.

Look at clone recipes for Shells FireBrick or Abita Amber. Another 'classic' recipe would be "West Cost Blaster" in Brewing Classic Styles.
Will look those up. Got base grains already, so will check those out and see if I can shoe horn my existing grain bill in, so to speak. Have to get another beer on when I get home later this week.

Back