Watt Density of RIMS Rocket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaW

Reaction score
Does anyone know the watt density of the RIMS Rocket? Im curious to how it compares to say a normal 3500w ultra low watt density element.

Got a response from Blichman, it is 29 watts per square inch. Pretty impressive for the total wattage of the unit, comparable to running a 240v element at 120v.

Got a response from Blichman, it is 29 watts per square inch. Pretty impressive for the total wattage of the unit, comparable to running a 240v element at 120v.

sweet the 25 1/2" 1,000w 1/2" cartridge heater I bought for my new homebuilt rims is about 29 watts per sq in too... I was looking around for comparable setups to see what others were using and there isnt much info on this.

sweet the 25 1/2" 1,000w 1/2" cartridge heater I bought for my new homebuilt rims is about 29 watts per sq in too... I was looking around for comparable setups to see what others were using and there isnt much info on this.

Im still really torn. I have two basic requirements, all stainless elements (no rust, no messing with silicon) and no chance of scorching. That basically leaves me with running the Brewhardware 5500w at 120v for 1375w at 27 watts/in or the RIMS Rocket at 29 watts, but with a TON more power.

I think Im going to go for the Brewhardware kit though, because its cheaper (RIMS rocket is $270+$70 for the mount). Also when helping me design my panel, Ryan from eBrewsupply pointed out that by utilizing a 120v 15amp circuit in addition to my 50amp 240v, I can run EVERYTHING simultaneously. That will make back to back batches super simple, which will be a huge benefit. Im also putting it on a switch though so I can still run it at 240v or use the RIMS Rocket if I change my mind later.

You could also consider the route I took... bought 1" stainless pipe fittings and cam lock for easy disassembly for $75 that added a 25" long stainless cartridge heater from eBay (new) for $23... total cost is about $100...

Back