watery tasting brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lepersquatch

Reaction score
Hi. I did 3 batches of extract brew about a month and a half ago. A wit, Irish red, and Honey brown all from northern brewer. Tryed the wit and it tasted watery. Tried the red same thing. I am using thier guidelines when I brew following them to a T. What might cause this? If you need more info just let me know and thanks for the help.

Have not tried the brown just bottled that on Sun. :confused:

I never felt like I got a good mouth feel either when I was brewing extract. It was my main reason for going to all-grain. Since my jump to all grain, I haven't been dissappointed yet.

Hi. I did 3 batches of extract brew about a month and a half ago. A wit, Irish red, and Honey brown all from northern brewer. Tryed the wit and it tasted watery. Tried the red same thing. I am using thier guidelines when I brew following them to a T. What might cause this? If you need more info just let me know and thanks for the help.

Have not tried the brown just bottled that on Sun. :confused:

How long were the first two bottled before you started drinking them? My first couple of batches tasted/felt watery before they were fully carbonated. After a week they had fizz and head but it took another week before they had the full body.

do they taste properly carbed? undercarb'd beer won't have the right mouthfeel.

it could just be the kits you used...nothing against NB. extract can taste great and have good body...Jamil proves that.

might just need a little more steeping grain to give you the body you wanted.

overattenuation (not likely with extract) can also leave you 'thin'

I had a wit that I made from a basic kit and I used a different yeast. When I tasted it at time of bottling it tasted like watery wheat. First beer I tasted after a week in bottle had same taste but not as bad. Then after 2 weeks it magically came around. I know I added to much water. But I have to say by week 3 + it was really good. I have my last 12 in the fridge.

what do you usually drink? it may be time or you may be used to beers with a stronger mouthfeel than these kits may make. give it time usually aging helps too

if you are trying your beers with in two weeks it probably just needs more times

+1; patience; if it only a 'watery' taste, time will fix this, don't get discouraged. I experienced the same thing - when through all the empotions of dumping all of it and decided to wait it out. Every week it is getting better and better. I got to the point that I put it away and sampled every 2 weeks - marked improvement...

All-grain or extract, shouldn't matter. The extract is exactly
the same thing you get out of a mash, and probably better
if you are a beginner at all grain mashing.

Body is most influenced by the yeast you use because there
is a great difference in the % attenuation. American ale
yeast gives you watery beers, British ale yeasts (and I mean
the liquid strains from Wyeast, not the generic stuff available
dry) don't attenuate as much. Look at the list at Wyeast and
pick one of the lower attenuators and see what happens.

The other thing that influences the perception of body
is sodium ion, you can add a small amount (like 1/8 teaspoon)
of NON-iodized NaCl to increase body.

Ray

The other thing that influences the perception of body
is sodium ion, you can add a small amount (like 1/8 teaspoon)
of NON-iodized NaCl to increase body.

I remember my late uncle putting salt in a beer once, just a few shakes. I didn't ask why, but I wish I had. I just assumed it was some old fashion thing he did.

I remember my late uncle putting salt in a beer once, just a few shakes. I didn't ask why, but I wish I had. I just assumed it was some old fashion thing he did.

Don't know what your uncle was doing, but what I'm talking about
is 40-50 ppm, so don't put 1/8 teaspoon per beer, that's per 5
gallons. It's doesn't take much to make the beer taste salty.

Ray

BUMB UPDATE The brew has gone form watery to plad. j/k It is way less watery. Let this be a lesson to the novice. Time does heal all wounds, and also makes your brew the yum. :ban: :rockin:

BUMB UPDATE The brew has gone form watery to plad. j/k It is way less watery. Let this be a lesson to the novice. Time does heal all wounds, and also makes your brew the yum. :ban: :rockin:

That's odd. Every beer that I've ever made became more watery with
age. Yeast keeps attenuating, the gravity drops, and more yeast falls
out of suspension, all making the beer have less body. Not to mention
the oxidation you get with aging. But....whatever.

Ray

Back