Watery Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayden5757

Reaction score
Last week I brewed the brewer's best dunkelweizen kit. Today I took a gravity reading and a taste. The gravity was spot on at 1.017. But the flavor and aromas I was going for are lacking. It was just overall water, especially for something with chocolate malt and 1lb of maltodextrin. I opted for weihenstaphan yeast over the dry yeast that came with it. I love their hefe and couldn't wait to get a nose full of banana. I fermented about 72~73.

Just as a side. I have about 8 ounces of dark cocoa nibs. I'd love to have some chocolate covered banana going on with this beer but I just don't know if this will ruin it.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or discussions. I want to hear from you guys and your experiences. :mug:

Considering the bjcp guidelines for the style have the upper limit of fg@ 1.015 of say that it's strange you feel disappointed. Theoretically, your body should be higher. Unfortunately, I've never actually used a kit so i can't help you fix that aspect. I would suggest however, trying in the future to stress the weihenstaphan yeast so you get a flavor and aroma profile more similar to commercial examples. Fwiw, when I use that yeast I pitch 1 barely warmed to room temperature package of yeast into a slightly higher than 80F wort. This way, I'm underpitching and going to the warmer end of the yeast's tolerance. I do 10 gallon batches though. Sooo... Hope that helps give you some ideas for next time? As for the cocoa nibs, it certainly won't ruin it but if your talking about upgrading 4 to a 6, you'd still only have a D. Know what i mean? Up to you. If you spent really good money on the cocoa nibs I'd save them for something classified as a better beer. Unless they're getting old. The last thing you need is old semi rancid cocoa nibs in a beer. Believe me.

Latest posts

Back