Waterproof remote thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popsicleian

Reaction score
I've done some searching on this, but I'm still having trouble figuring out if any of the remote thermometers out there will do what I'm hoping.

Basically, I'm looking for a remote thermometer that I can pop in my kettle while I'm heating strike water so I monitor from indoors and have a rough idea of when I'm getting up to mash temp. I'm not looking for something that will monitor temp during the mash. It doesn't even have to be super accurate--I just want to be able to know when I'm in the ballpark of my target strike temps so I don't have to keep going out to the garage to measure the temperature (especially this time of year, when that's a rather cold walk). It would also be nice to use it after the mash, to know when I'm getting close to boiling temp so I don't have to constantly go check to see if I'm nearing a boilover/need to add hops, etc.

I gather from the research I've done that moisture can be an issue for some temperature probes, so I want something that won't crap out if it gets wet or steamy. Cheap is good--I don't want to spend a ton of money on this, and I don't want anything fancy. My kettle does not have a built in thermometer or thermowell, for what that's worth.

Any suggestions?

Check brewhardware.com or call them for help. They have compression fittings made for inserting thermometer probes into kettles and coolers. They probably have something that will fit. I would think you could then use one of the wireless meat thermometers to keep an eye on it.

Check brewhardware.com or call them for help. They have compression fittings made for inserting thermometer probes into kettles and coolers. They probably have something that will fit. I would think you could then use one of the wireless meat thermometers to keep an eye on it.

That would require putting another hole in my kettle though, right? I don't really have the tools or know-how to do something like that. I was hoping more for a probe that i could just plop in the water or drape over the rim of the kettle.

I use the thermoworks smoke with the waterproof needle probe.
It comes with a unit that allows you to monitor the temperatures remotely.
They are supposed to be releasing a wifi adapter for it soon, so you'll be able to monitor temps from your phone.

I use the thermoworks smoke with the waterproof needle probe.
It comes with a unit that allows you to monitor the temperatures remotely.
They are supposed to be releasing a wifi adapter for it soon, so you'll be able to monitor temps from your phone.

Do you have a link? Or is it this?

Smoke_generic-01.jpg

That's the one. I just use the optional needle probe instead of the included ones

Back