Looking for a digital thermometer with probe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kydan47

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for a digital thermometer with probe? Thinking a probe that can be inserted into a thermowell might work? Or a waterproof corded probe? Wanting something to constantly monitor wort temp when chilling with an immersion chiller? Using an Anvil Foundry and its built in probe is confused by stratification.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that you were looking to do this but your typical oven probes are absolutely not tolerant of liquids. If you should choose an off the shelf model that has a probe that is not sealed specifically for being submerged, don't even think about getting beer or water anywhere near the opening. If they get anything inside, it's all over. And you are not likely to dry it out and fix it. Just a fair warning.

If Pampered Chef still made the old ones they had 20 years ago I would say get one of those. But they decided they were too nice and are going to use ones that are garbage now, so you don't want one of theirs.

Not that you were looking to do this but your typical oven probes are absolutely not tolerant of liquids. If you should choose an off the shelf model that has a probe that is not sealed specifically for being submerged, don't even think about getting beer or water anywhere near the opening. If they get anything inside, it's all over. And you are not likely to dry it out and fix it. Just a fair warning.

If Pampered Chef still made the old ones they had 20 years ago I would say get one of those. But they decided they were too nice and are going to use ones that are garbage now, so you don't want one of theirs.
Thanks for replying. If I could figure out a way to mount something with just the probe inserted but it would need to be adjustable per volume.

Does your system have a tri clamp anywhere on it? I only ask because I have in the past seen companies that offer what I will call an adapter, it's a tri-clamp fitting that has a hole in it to piggyback a temperature probe. I'm not sure they call it an adapter, but whatever, it's a fitting that has a hole for a probe. If that's an option it's probably your easiest and it's non-destructive.

I only ask because I have in the past seen companies that offer what I will call an adapter, it's a tri-clamp fitting that has a hole in it to piggyback a temperature probe. I'm not sure they call it an adapter, but whatever, it's a fitting that has a hole for a probe.

Thermowell. There are lots of them, in various lengths, and various tri-clamp sizes.

There is an easy way to accomplish this.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/remote-probe-thermometer-wort-proofing.26905/
use aquarium tubing and run the probe through the tube. siphon some olive oil up the tubing and the probe will slide right on. Seal the tube on the probe with a couple of small o rings.

I’ve been doing this for years, using a Maverick remote thermometer with alarms. Hope this helps.

Thermowell. There are lots of them, in various lengths, and various tri-clamp sizes.
Thanks,
Does your system have a tri clamp anywhere on it? I only ask because I have in the past seen companies that offer what I will call an adapter, it's a tri-clamp fitting that has a hole in it to piggyback a temperature probe. I'm not sure they call it an adapter, but whatever, it's a fitting that has a hole for a probe. If that's an option it's probably your easiest and it's non-destructive.
The Anvil doesn’t have any Tri-clamps or holes.
I can make a thermowell, but need a thermometer model with a straight probe and then something to conduct the temp to the probe inside the well eg thermal paste? Then some way to secure the well. Was hoping someone has already figured it out Or at least a model that would work. Appreciate it.

I can make a thermowell, but need a thermometer model with a straight probe and then something to conduct the temp to the probe inside the well eg thermal paste?

If the probe/wire are reasonably snug in the thermowell, there's no need for thermal paste. In one of mine, I wrap the wire with a few wraps of tape (on the part of the insulated wire that reaches just inside the thermowll entrance) to fill the gap.

Thanks,

The Anvil doesn’t have any Tri-clamps or holes.
I can make a thermowell, but need a thermometer model with a straight probe and then something to conduct the temp to the probe inside the well eg thermal paste? Then some way to secure the well. Was hoping someone has already figured it out Or at least a model that would work. Appreciate it.
For what you're looking to do, you don't really need to buy a thermometer, you could simply Buy one of the cheapy temp controllers and use that. Obviously you're not going to need the output, although it does have that so if you wanted it there you go. The ones available on eBay are only a couple of bucks and they use a standard thermocouple which of course there are different types, but you're typically going to use a k-type and from there all you need to do is purchase the one you want. They make them anywhere from a half inch long to a couple feet.

Here's one that comes with a solid state relay and the thermocouple for 20 bucks. Now you would need to replace the thermocouple most likely because you want a long probe. This one is as it says a k-type. Simply purchase another k-type of a different shape. That you'll have to find separately but you can just look on ebay. The k-type just represents the temperature range and the output.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REX-C100-D...r-Set-K-Thermocouple-Max-40A-SSR/175311089284
The thermocouples have Spade connectors that connect to screw terminals on the back of that PID controller. I don't know if it's absolutely a fact but you probably want to use Spade connectors that they put on at the factory rather than Mickey Mouse'n one together. The entire premise of a thermocouple is such that you really want to make as few connections as possible with anything of your own. Remember they work by measuring the voltage between two pieces of metal. I don't mean they put a voltage across, I mean two pieces of metal that touch generate voltage and they measure that. It ain't much electricity. So you don't want to make unnecessary connections that will alter that voltage.

Hth

For what you're looking to do, you don't really need to buy a thermometer, you could simply Buy one of the cheapy temp controllers and use that. Obviously you're not going to need the output, although it does have that so if you wanted it there you go. The ones available on eBay are only a couple of bucks and they use a standard thermocouple which of course there are different types, but you're typically going to use a k-type and from there all you need to do is purchase the one you want. They make them anywhere from a half inch long to a couple feet.

Here's one that comes with a solid state relay and the thermocouple for 20 bucks. Now you would need to replace the thermocouple most likely because you want a long probe. This one is as it says a k-type. Simply purchase another k-type of a different shape. That you'll have to find separately but you can just look on ebay. The k-type just represents the temperature range and the output.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REX-C100-D...r-Set-K-Thermocouple-Max-40A-SSR/175311089284
The thermocouples have Spade connectors that connect to screw terminals on the back of that PID controller. I don't know if it's absolutely a fact but you probably want to use Spade connectors that they put on at the factory rather than Mickey Mouse'n one together. The entire premise of a thermocouple is such that you really want to make as few connections as possible with anything of your own. Remember they work by measuring the voltage between two pieces of metal. I don't mean they put a voltage across, I mean two pieces of metal that touch generate voltage and they measure that. It ain't much electricity. So you don't want to make unnecessary connections that will alter that voltage.

Hth
Thanks. I bought this
https://www.brewhardware.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CDNDTTCand going to add some type clamp to get it to the needed level. Appreciate it.

Thanks. I bought this
https://www.brewhardware.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CDNDTTCand going to add some type clamp to get it to the needed level. Appreciate it.
Not a problem, hope it works out for you. You might be able to rig the clamp that comes with it . That CDN brand is nice reliable stuff in my experience. I use the handheld. I'd have probably said get that instead of the one you got. That is exactly the type probe I was talking about being cantankerous. If you noticed, they sell replacement probes and they are out of stock. Just say'n...

Not a problem, hope it works out for you. You might be able to rig the clamp that comes with it . That CDN brand is nice reliable stuff in my experience. I use the handheld. I'd have probably said get that instead of the one you got. That is exactly the type probe I was talking about being cantankerous. If you noticed, they sell replacement probes and they are out of stock. Just say'n...

i do have 2 Thermapen Classics that are pretty fast but no way to mount them. I use 2 Thermapops to measure temps on my exhillerator’s water/wort but only when using my big system. Bobby at Brew Hardware speaks of using tubing as a thermowell. I’ll keep looking. I know there has to be a way.

Looking for a digital thermometer with probe? Thinking a probe that can be inserted into a thermowell might work? Or a waterproof corded probe? Wanting something to constantly monitor wort temp when chilling with an immersion chiller? Using an Anvil Foundry and its built in probe is confused by stratification.
Thermoworks has a 12” probe as well as a waterproof sous vide probe

Sorry I missed your question about which Maverick probe, but it looks like you found a good option.

The one I used has long since been replaced but any wired probe will work if you protect the wire with silicone tubing.

One feature I’ve found very helpful is an alarm when you reach a specific temperature. For example, an alarm set for 208 alerts you to boil over approaching.

I mention this as one model I bought had a very low/inaudible alarm. Greatly reduced its value and I ended up giving it away.

One feature I’ve found very helpful is an alarm when you reach a specific temperature. For example, an alarm set for 208 alerts you to boil over approaching.

I mention this as one model I bought had a very low/inaudible alarm. Greatly reduced its value and I ended up giving it away.
Which model did you end up getting?

I’m using a Maverick HD-8. Actually got it at Home Depot to use on a trip, not really intending to use it in the brewery. But, it works fine.
IMG_0913.jpeg

This is the one I tried from Amazon. Accuracy was fine, but the alarm was too low for a pre-boil alert.

2.76"x2.56"x1.18" Readable & Large LCD Screen Dual Probe Digital Food Meat Smoker Thermometer for Cooking, BBQGO BG-CT2C Food BBQ Grill Thermometer with Timer, Backlight, Magnet for Smoker, Oven https://a.co/d/3rhVVKl

Latest posts

Back