Watermelon Wine Woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sebrinak

Reaction score
I have read up on what others have said about watermelon wine being easy to spoil, but no one mentioned time frames or gravity. Today we reracked the 5-gallon batch that we used the fresh pulp of 5 melons in. We started it in September 2020, and it was super active and blew its top and everything. The pulp floated for a long time and at some point, we pushed it back down. We have re-racked a couple of times I think, but this time after missing last month's rerack, it has a funky smell. Guessing it spoiled, but with all the early action I am wondering how? I took the gravity too and it is was high at 1.080. Also still very sweet.

If it was so active, and therefore not stalled, and still kind of fizzy, why does it smell and why is it still so sweet?

I told my friend I would go research what the smell could be and so it is still sitting. Oh, it is also still pretty cloudy.

Hi Sebrinak, and welcome. Sounds from your questions that this watermelon wine was among your first attempts. Watermelon wine is hard to make and when made it often does not taste quite as the wine maker might expect: watermelon is not rich in flavor although a ripe watermelon is rich in sugar. If you dilute the juice with water then you have a lot of water and not very much flavor.. And if you got five gallons from five melons I am guessing that there was a lot of dilution going on... But be that as it may, that won't have caused the problem of a foul smell.

Foul smells - such as rotten eggs are caused by stressed yeast. When you stress yeast by not providing the yeast with the nutrients they need to repair and build cell walls - and sugar is not nutrient - then the yeast return the favor and produce hydrogen sulfide and H2S smells like rotten eggs. You can perhaps remove the H2S by whipping lots of air into the wine or perhaps by placing a piece of very clean and sanitized copper in the fermenter for a few minutes. The copper will bind with the sulfur.

H2S if allowed to sit too long begins to form mercaptans and mercaptans are what are added to gas lines to enable you to smell a gas leak. It smells a little like skunk. Mercaptans are far more difficult to remove and for many wine makers they are one reason to toss the wine.

You say the wine tastes sweet but you don't say what the current specific gravity is. Knowing the gravity tells you how the fermentation is proceeding and if the gravity is not dropping every day then that suggests that it ain't proceeding. An active fermentation can still stall. If it has stalled then depending on when it stalled in the process will suggest whether you need to add nutrients, air or yeast. But if you need to add yeast the best way is to add the stalled wine onto active yeast and not vice versa. You want to create a starter and then when that is very active you want to double the volume of the starter with the stalled wine. When that is again very active you want to double that volume from the stalled wine and so transfer the stalled wine into the starter. This helps mitigate any systemic problems found in the stalled wine: you are diluting the stalled wine with the starter until all the wine has been transferred from the stalled bucket into the bucket with the starter.

Cloudy wine can be caused by two different processes. The first is that if there is a great deal of carbon dioxide still in your wine (and yeast convert HALF the sugar by weight into alcohol and the other half into carbon dioxide so there is very likely to be a large amount of CO2 dissolved in solution) then that gas will keep particles of fruit in suspension. Time and gravity will help the wine clear.

Another very common reason for haziness is that the fruit pectins act to diffuse the light traveling through the fermenter. It's always more challenging to remove pectins in alcohol than pectins before you have added the yeast but what most wine makers do is add a pectic enzyme (NOT pectins - you are not making jam) to break up the pectins about 12 hours before they pitch their yeast ... and with watermelon, the secret is to create a large yeast starter so that the juice is not hanging around for any time to allow spoilage organisms to begin growing in the juice. I have to admit that I do not know whether watermelon has a lot or few pectins but if there are some then that too might be a reason for cloudiness. In alcohol you would need to add much more enzyme to break up the pectins because alcohol breaks down the enzyme.

If this does not answer your concerns (and I hope that it does) others on this forum may have other explanations. Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi Sebrinak, and welcome. Sounds from your questions that this watermelon wine was among your first attempts. Watermelon wine is hard to make and when made it often does not taste quite as the wine maker might expect: watermelon is not rich in flavor although a ripe watermelon is rich in sugar. If you dilute the juice with water then you have a lot of water and not very much flavor.. And if you got five gallons from five melons I am guessing that there was a lot of dilution going on... But be that as it may, that won't have caused the problem of a foul smell.

Foul smells - such as rotten eggs are caused by stressed yeast. When you stress yeast by not providing the yeast with the nutrients they need to repair and build cell walls - and sugar is not nutrient - then the yeast return the favor and produce hydrogen sulfide and H2S smells like rotten eggs. You can perhaps remove the H2S by whipping lots of air into the wine or perhaps by placing a piece of very clean and sanitized copper in the fermenter for a few minutes. The copper will bind with the sulfur.

H2S if allowed to sit too long begins to form mercaptans and mercaptans are what are added to gas lines to enable you to smell a gas leak. It smells a little like skunk. Mercaptans are far more difficult to remove and for many wine makers they are one reason to toss the wine.

You say the wine tastes sweet but you don't say what the current specific gravity is. Knowing the gravity tells you how the fermentation is proceeding and if the gravity is not dropping every day then that suggests that it ain't proceeding. An active fermentation can still stall. If it has stalled then depending on when it stalled in the process will suggest whether you need to add nutrients, air or yeast. But if you need to add yeast the best way is to add the stalled wine onto active yeast and not vice versa. You want to create a starter and then when that is very active you want to double the volume of the starter with the stalled wine. When that is again very active you want to double that volume from the stalled wine and so transfer the stalled wine into the starter. This helps mitigate any systemic problems found in the stalled wine: you are diluting the stalled wine with the starter until all the wine has been transferred from the stalled bucket into the bucket with the starter.

Cloudy wine can be caused by two different processes. The first is that if there is a great deal of carbon dioxide still in your wine (and yeast convert HALF the sugar by weight into alcohol and the other half into carbon dioxide so there is very likely to be a large amount of CO2 dissolved in solution) then that gas will keep particles of fruit in suspension. Time and gravity will help the wine clear.

Another very common reason for haziness is that the fruit pectins act to diffuse the light traveling through the fermenter. It's always more challenging to remove pectins in alcohol than pectins before you have added the yeast but what most wine makers do is add a pectic enzyme (NOT pectins - you are not making jam) to break up the pectins about 12 hours before they pitch their yeast ... and with watermelon, the secret is to create a large yeast starter so that the juice is not hanging around for any time to allow spoilage organisms to begin growing in the juice. I have to admit that I do not know whether watermelon has a lot or few pectins but if there are some then that too might be a reason for cloudiness. In alcohol you would need to add much more enzyme to break up the pectins because alcohol breaks down the enzyme.

If this does not answer your concerns (and I hope that it does) others on this forum may have other explanations. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. They were huge watermelons actually and we didn't add any water. It is a tad fizzy to the mouth so I thought aerating it might help, but why would it still be so sweet after 5 months? Maybe the yeast just didn't have enough nutrients in there to be happy. our recipe was watermelon, 14lb sugar, 5tsp acid blend, and 5tsp nutrient.

What is the current gravity reading. Let's see if the wine still has a significant amount of residual sugar or if the sweetness is a perception. Not sure I would have added any acid blend before fermentation had ended. Yeast don't need acids to ferment. We like the brightness that acid brings AND we need the acidity to help increase shelf life of the wine but that is another story.
What yeast did you pitch? I wonder if the yeast gave up the ghost because of intolerance to alcohol.

What is the current gravity reading. Let's see if the wine still has a significant amount of residual sugar or if the sweetness is a perception. Not sure I would have added any acid blend before fermentation had ended. Yeast don't need acids to ferment. We like the brightness that acid brings AND we need the acidity to help increase shelf life of the wine but that is another story.
What yeast did you pitch? I wonder if the yeast gave up the ghost because of intolerance to alcohol.

current gravity is 1.080--very odd. it started at 1.14. And I used champagne yeast.

Sounds like the wine has stalled. If you want to restart a stalled fermentation you make a starter with a new pack of yeast and you add the same volume as the starter from the stalled batch. You keep on doubling the volume of the starter from the stalled batch when you KNOW that the starter is ripping through the wine you are adding. Your starter batch size might be a cup or two and so it will take a day or more before all the wine in the stalled vessel has been transferred to the starter vessel. And you do it that way because if there is a systemic problem with the wine then adding it in small volumes to an actively fermenting vessel will very likely neutralize the problem. If you simply add fresh yeast into the problem batch the issue that has caused the batch to stall may simply kill the yeast you are adding.

Sounds like the wine has stalled. If you want to restart a stalled fermentation you make a starter with a new pack of yeast and you add the same volume as the starter from the stalled batch. You keep on doubling the volume of the starter from the stalled batch when you KNOW that the starter is ripping through the wine you are adding. Your starter batch size might be a cup or two and so it will take a day or more before all the wine in the stalled vessel has been transferred to the starter vessel. And you do it that way because if there is a systemic problem with the wine then adding it in small volumes to an actively fermenting vessel will very likely neutralize the problem. If you simply add fresh yeast into the problem batch the issue that has caused the batch to stall may simply kill the yeast you are adding.

Interesting, worth a shot.

14 lbs of sugar plus the sugar of 5 watermelons in 5 gallons is a LOT of sugar. I think you may have reached the limit of alcohol tolerance for your yeast. The most sugar I ever heard of adding to fruit to make wine is 2.5 lbs per gal - meaning 12.5 lbs plus fruit plus water. And even diluted, that makes a sweet wine. I usually stick closer to 2 lbs per gallon, but I like it dry. Been a long time since I’ve made wine. Never used enzymes. The starter dilution method sounds promising. Also, I would look for the highest alcohol tolerant yeast known to man + nutrient. And I wouldn’t expect this to end up with much watermelon flavor. You could fix that with watermelon concentrate.
https://www.homebrewing.org/Natural-Watermelon-Flavoring_p_5504.html

Latest posts

Back