Watering the wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStooge

Reaction score
Hi all, just thought to pop in to bounce this off some here. As it stands right now, I usually keep a couple gallons of filtered water in the fridge for topping up my brews before pitching. It's just the usual brita style filter, nothing fancy or micobal cleaning. Well after I had a couple batches batches get infected a while back it seemed wise to take a look at everything, and though I placed the "official blame on a scratched/stained plastic primary (replaced w/glass :) ) I still have to wonder about the practice of using unboiled water to top the wort.

So any opinions on the risk factor in doing this? For me, I like doing so just because it helps drop that extra 5-10 degrees and move pitching up that much sooner, but not if that could have been a culprit in borking my beers :tank:

Depends on how clean your faucets and filters are. They collect stuff over time and provide a home for microbes.

You would be wise to bring your top up water to boil and cool.

I've never boiled the water, but I buy water at the store and open it as it is going in the wort, so the chance of something festering in the water is slim.

However, I do have a Britta filter I use for drinking water. I have the filter pitcher, and I've noticed that it gets grimey at the top where the lid goes. You may want to inspect your water containers for any slime or mold. Certainly I would suggest appropriate cleaning before the water goes in and then seal it before putting it in the fridge.

Or boil it...

Same question I had yesterday. I'm going to make a mash/extract batch tomorrow. I'll be using a bag in my cooler/MLT as if it were a full AG batch. I didn't like the idea of adding unboiled topoff water, so I'll be boiling enough water to fill my fermenter.

Well that seems 3 for 3 on boiling. It certainly couldn't hurt of course, just need to work it into the time before brewing.

Any options anyone could think of for a non-boiling option (using the stove it does take a while to boil and cool 2-3 gallons) that wouldn't leave any off flavors. Things like campden (wine sulfite, don't blame me I cant spell :p ) might work but can leave a left over taste.

Back