Watering down beer post-fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-stone

Reaction score
I have a batch that is to strong for social drinking,( I like to drink beer, but don't like to get falldown drunk) I was going to water down half of it when I bottle in 5 days. I plan on boiling the water to remove oxygen. My question is, how much water do I add to 2.5 US gal. at 4.6ABV if I want it to turn out around 3.0ABV???????????

4.6 is too strong? Just drink water in between beers. I would mix some and taste it before you bottle to make sure you'll still wanna drink it after diluting.

PC is correct, but adding 50% water, just seems to be way too much. I don't know what the beer is, but if it is one that uses a lot of sugar, it will be very watery (tasteless).

For a lower abv beer, you probably need to design a recipe, and use a low attenuating yeast to ensure you get plenty of malt flavor in the final product.

4.6% isn't too high.

PC is correct, but adding 50% water, just seems to be way too much. I don't know what the beer is, but if it is one that uses a lot of sugar, it will be very watery (tasteless).

For a lower abv beer, you probably need to design a recipe, and use a low attenuating yeast to ensure you get plenty of malt flavor in the final product.

4.6% isn't too high.

I'm gonna agree with this... watering it down will probably not end up making it taste that great. 4.6% is really too much? Even BMC light is right around there...

I am physically dissabled, I am in a wheelchair, I cannot drink anything higher than about 3%ABV withoutr SERIOUS reprecutions. I also cannot lift anything heavier than 5 US gallons. So, If I can brew 7-8 gal from 5 gallons, and still have it taste like a decent beer for cheep, than that's what I am shooting for. Weather you think it is a good thing or not, this is what I am doing. (Thankyou for all suggestions and comments as they are greatly appreciated:mug:.)

As long as you plan properly, there's no problem with brewing "heavy". Many sessions beer are in the 3% range. Milds in particular are easy to brew and dilute. I've got an 8.4% Biere de Garde that I've diluted 1:1 and it's fine. Hard to tell the difference until you wake up.

I do recommend against trying to dilute in the glass with carbonated water. It just doesn't work.

Latest posts

Back