watered down taste in scottish 70 schilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerrata

Reaction score
I have read quite a bit of the "watery taste" forum posts. I have the same issue with a 70Schilling scottish ale. Bottled in Oct 2013. Let to carbonate for something like 8-10 weeks based on the first couple of bottles about 4 weeks in.

In some of the recent bottles, I have had a watery taste. I hit all my numbers in the recipe, so not sure what is going on. Well, my last bottle I drank, I let it warm a little before drinking and the taste was incredibly good.

A lot of beers have an optimal drinking temp and I suppose thats why!
Any thoughts? Similar experiences?

I think you may be onto something. I have no clue, but would like to know the answer to this question as well.

Those 70, etc. shilling bitters ARE kinda watered down beers. Low gravity, low grain bill = low malt backbone, low alcohol, which is pretty watery as far as beers go.

When you warm it up, it would be expected that more of the malt character would shine through, and it'd have more "beer" character.

Are you sure you just aren't used to that particular style?

Scottish Ales are best when served in the low to mid 50's for temperature (10C-14C). I also mash pretty high temperatures (158F+) to bring some body through and ferment at fairly low temps (57F - 62F) which both contribute to a higher body to the beer.

Latest posts

Back