Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddnlinn

Reaction score
I am in need of some info for water in the Central pennsylvania area. If anyone has had their water tested and would like to share the details i would appreciate it!
Thanks

Call your water company, ask for their quality control dept.
They have the mineral numbers we brewers are interested in. Ask where the water is sourced from, and about fluctuations (seasonal, weather related, etc.) in those numbers.

But it's only a snapshot of your water's mineral composition that day...
None the wiser about next months'.
Certainly the water profile can vary over the seasons and some suppliers use multiple sources so the mix can change, but you have to start somewhere. IMO there is no need to fall down the rabbit hole with brewing water. Over the last twenty years I have seen the topic of water in homebrewing go from being basically ignored to virtually encouraging cult-like behavior in some overly anxious home brewers.

Unless you have some extremely unusual water profile that defies any simple solutions knowing the basic profile of your water, treating it as simply as possible using one of the good water programs available today, and then brewing your beer that will more than suffice for the vast majority of homebrewers.

You won't get anything useful out of asking what other people's water is like. Water can vary substantially depending on where it originates from. Somebody could get their water from a well and someone else could get their water from a river or reservoir. The water quality and suitability for brewing could be miles apart, even if the sources are close to each other.

Get your water tested if its not from a water company. Talk to the water company and they MIGHT be able to provide you with some data on their water, but don't hold your breath since they aren't required by law to test for many of the parameters that we brewers want to know.

Latest posts

Back