Water volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunker45

Reaction score
Just finished my rims system. Use brewsmith software for my brew day guide. It wants me to spare the mash. I assume I do not need to do this since I am circulating. My question is how much water do I use in my circulating mash. Should I use the pre boil volume the software gives?

There are lots of ways to brew with a recirculating system. You can do no-sparge (full volume), a batch sparge, continuous sparging/fly sparge, etc.

It's really no different than not circulating the mash.

Keep in mind that Beersmith is software and it doesn't "tell" you what to do- you tell it what you want to do. It helps with calculating volumes, but it only is good for using the inputs you put into it.

If you want to do a no-sparge temperature mash, that's how it should be set up for your system. If you want to do a two step temperature mash with a mash out and fly sparge, that's how it should be set up.

What is your experience with other mashing, and what is your preference? We can help you get situated with that and with inputting that into Beersmith.

Thanks for the reply. To this point I have only batch sparged in a cooler. I didn't take a lot of time yet setting up the volumes you mentioned. I actually am only at the point of just running the new brewery on water and my first small grain batch. I have been using a cooler mash system for 1.5 years. I built a system similar to Dion Hollenbecks system on American home brewers assn. site. Any suggestions you can give would be very helpful. Thanks. Chuck

Hi Bunker45,
Dion helped me with my RIMS build back in 1996. He was one of the RIMS pioneers in our area. What I do with beersmith using my RIMS is to set up the mash as single or double infusion with a mash-out and a sparge. Beersmith will calculate the dough in, infusion, mash out, and sparge volumes for me, but since my temp ramps are done with my RIMS heater, I just add up the dough-in, infusion, and mash out volumes and this is what I use for the dough-in volume. If you want to go with no sparge, just add the sparge volume to that sum and there you go. I hope this helps.

Thanks. Look forward to playing with this later. I put 5 pounds of grain in my mash tun and have it circulating now just to try the system. Cool thing!

The BIABacus tells you volumes automatically, just enter your kettle size, and grain and hop bill.

BIABacus does much more.

Join BIABrewer.info for your free copy.

Back