Water used?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerclone

Reaction score
How important is it to know the water chemistry prior to using it? Will the differences of tap water vs bottled water make a huge difference in the beer taste and quality? If I use bottled water, what do I need to add to have the right chemistry?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Depends on your tap. Everyone's water is different (sometimes significantly). It would certainly be best if you have a water test done or get a water report. Or you can do what I have done in the past and correct problems based upon taste. I was getting really under-utilized hop flavor/aroma due to the high chlorine content of Columbus tap. So I added gypsum and let the water sit out overnight (since CL will float away given some time). Since then, my beers have been crisper and less slick feeling.

Bottled water is a meaningless statement when it comes to chemistry. In the case of ANY water, knowing its content is critical to knowing if and what treatment is desirable. Of course, the treatment changes with each grist. So having an understanding of these issues is important.

Yes, you can make beer without worrying about water treatment. However, you do need to pay attention to water treatment if you want to make great beers in a variety of styles.

Thanks for the comments. Why is bottled water and less significant than other water where chemistry is concerned? If the quality of beer is dependent on the quality of water and the presence of certain ions/ chemical compounds, then isn't the non presence of these same ions or compounds sdk just as important? That being said, if I use bottled water, can I expect ALL bottled water is stripped down whereas I need to add back in the desired ions/ compounds?

Bottled water is meaningless because it gives no indication of what the actual mineral content is. Where is the water from? What is in it?

Distilled water is stripped down to nothing.

Reverse Osmosis water is stripped down to almost nothing.

"Bottled Water" however could have any level of mineral content in it - and you need to know what that content is as a starting point for any other additions.

Ok, so maybe the better question is; what water do people use? And how do you prepare that wart for brew day? Thanks.

Oops. Should have read, how do you prepare that water for brew day?

1) get water tested, use bru`n water and treat it as suggested.

2) get ro water, and build it up as needed.

3)rdwhahb.

I'm currently in camp 3 atm, only because I just moved and don't have a water report yet.

1) get water tested, use bru`n water and treat it as suggested.

2) get ro water, and build it up as needed.

3)rdwhahb.

I'm currently in camp 3 atm, only because I just moved and don't have a water report yet.

I like #3 the best. I need to do this more.

Yep - I refill 3 gallon water jugs at an RO refill station at Walmart. I even sen that water in to Ward Labs, just to be sure what I was dealing with. It was what you would expect RO water to be - very, very low mineral content. I sent my home water in to Ward Labs to find out what I was dealing with there as well. I then use Brun Water to figure out what I am looking for in each beer. I generally use 60-100% RO water on most beers. I cut the rest with my tap water (carbon filtered) to get to my desired water profile for particular styles.

Back